MC Hammer 2.0

Who doesn’t remember the U Can’t Touch This video… or more importantly those infamous MC Hammer pants?

The trend has been around for quite some time, but it’s just recently catching on. Brocade and harem pants are tricky to wear, but if you find a pair that fits you properly (and that flatter your body), it can work on so many levels.

The comfy pant can be dressed up or down, but only if the print and material is appropriate. There are more fitted forms of the slouchy pant that work for the office and dinners, but aren’t as breezy and “free-spirited”. The tighter form still has the same lively patterns that work on the carefree bottoms.  Basic colors are great for everyday wear, but remember that they can sometimes be on the “lounge-y” side. It’s better to wear a nice pattern to dress up with bold statement necklaces for those fancier events.

If you do go for a  patterned pair, it’s easy to go overboard and create a visual disaster. Keep it simple with light basic tanks, blouses, or subtle tones. And it goes pretty vice-versa; if you have a basic, solid-colored pair match it up with a patterned shirt or keep it simple with the top and spice it up with jewelry. Just have one item be the main focus, don’t have people be overwhelmed when you roll through.

As for fit, brocade/harem pants are one of the most flatter-challenging bottoms. Make sure to never settle, if you really want a pair of brocades, make sure they don’t bulge, tuck, hang, or do any other weird, unflattering things to your body. The pants will get attention and you don’t want people to  have that look that says “what were you thinking?” followed by the biggest fake compliment ever. Find something that isn’t too baggy, long, wide, or tight. You’re looking for the most comfortable fit.

Some interesting finds:

*side note: I bought a pair of basic red ones at Target for $20*

Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 9.57.53 PM MSGM Floral Brocade Trousers $ too expensive 

Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 9.57.42 PM Chaser Slouchy Pant $136

Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 9.57.00 PM Lush Life Pant $78

Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 9.56.52 PM Somedays Loving Muchacho Floral Pant $89

Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 9.55.54 PM Ecote Knit Harem Pant $39