Small Space? Big Problem.

It’s that time of year again! Summer has somehow flown by and the we’re down to the final weeks before the chaos of moving in: school, exams, presentations, work, and everything in between.

Moving in is always chaotic and a little stressful, but things get a bit more challenging when you have to move all your things into the smallest space possible (McCormick rooms are literally a real life Tetris game). So when you’ve given a box-sized room and full truck load of absolute necessities, organization and space-saving become major survival skills.

Luckily, living in McCormick freshman year has taught me a few tips. During August, stores like Ikea, Target, Bed, Bath and Beyond, all know how important organization is for students. They sell special dorm-room items and market products that create more space for multiple uses. And that’s what key: finding products that can be used for more than one thing and don’t take up much space (and, of course, staying on a college budget). Try  buying closet items that create more storage and shelving. Your closet can store significantly more with the right things. Use every part of it wisely!

I personally get tired of settings and styles pretty quickly, but I don’t like spending loads on different bed sets, decor, etc. A great way to diversify your room without spending all that extra cash and wasting space in your closet is sticking to basics and owning a few accent items. You can have black, white, and grey as your main color template and buy a few bright pillows, rugs, paintings in different colors to change it up every once in awhile. Whatever your mood, you can change your room to match within minutes.

Another way to spruce up your room is with different patterns textures. Try to find materials that contrast with each other to give the room a certain atmosphere. Whether you like lace, leather, metal, or sheer material, try to incorporate them into your decor in small details. It’ll give your room a nice, distinct feel that you find welcoming.

Your room is your space. Make the most of it and make it represent your style. In the end, you’ll be spending the most time in it, so make it a place you find comforting and happy.

Some Organization ideas:

Screen Shot 2013-08-04 at 3.42.54 PM

Cube Organizer – You can store things on top and in the compartments, you can also decorate some of the spaces to spruce up the room. You can also put things in a colorful bin (like below) to add color and patterns. $39 at Target

Screen Shot 2013-08-04 at 3.43.44 PM

Bins with patterns and colors add style and space to your room. 4 for $22 at Target. You can find lots of patterns that suit your style.

Screen Shot 2013-08-04 at 3.46.32 PM

If you add more shelving to your closet you can organize your clothes and shoes much easier. Great for scarves, t-shirts, shoes and whatever you want, this keeps thing organized and clean, making it easy to grab and go when you’re running late to class. $8.99 at Ikea.

Some Decor Ideas:

Screen Shot 2013-08-04 at 3.45.49 PM

Textures and patterns can mesh well to add that certain feel you want in your room. Here’s a perfect example of curtains being used to set a more romantic feel. Get creative with things, you don’t have to use certain objects for their purpose.

Screen Shot 2013-08-04 at 3.52.38 PM

This is a perfect example of basic colors with that bright pop of color. Even though the duvet cover has it’s own pattern; the colors work with almost anything.

Screen Shot 2013-08-04 at 3.55.37 PM

Don’t be afraid to contrast colors and styles. See what works.