Letter to the Editor

I am writing in response to the Aug. 31 article, "Students pay for other's decisions about books."

I, along with most college students, agree with the fact that textbooks are too expensive and buy-back prices usually do not seem fair. While BookMarq substitutes new books if used are not available (and you must pay the difference in price), you get what you put into your e-shopping cart through Amazon.com or Half.com.

The one drawback, besides the fact that books may not arrive fast enough, is getting the correct books. If you have the ISBN numbers for your books, you know you are purchasing the correct books. However, BookMarq lists minimal information: author, title and edition. The information BookMarq gives (or rather, withholds) makes it very difficult to find the correct books on Amazon. Instead of monopolizing the Marquette book system, perhaps BookMarq could list the ISBN numbers along with the other information.

It is inevitable that there will be some new books that students must buy from BookMarq. In addition, ordering via Amazon is not as easy as BookMarq, which means students will still order from BookMarq to save time.

As a student who pays her own tuition, fees and book bills and works on campus to have some extra cash, I think it is only fair that BookMarq offers us the chance to save some money wherever we possibly can. ISBN numbers, anyone?

Kenny is a sophomore in the College of Business Administration.

x