Summer Side Jobs

For cash strapped students, summer means one thing: working. But if you need help deciding what you’ll be doing, here’s our guide to finding the perfect job.

People pleasers

Tutoring

Stay sharp this summer by turning off the movie marathons and helping summer school students with their homework. Advertise yourself as a Marquette student — your affordable services will sweep the competition and win the hearts of alumni. To boost your résumé, try tutoring in your field of study.

Barista

A great gig for talkers, quick-thinkers and early birds who don’t sweat the 5 a.m. start time. After all, the earlier you start, the sooner you can get off work and hit the pool. But be warned — there’s little room for error. People know their espresso drinks like the back of their hand.

Telemarketer

An air-conditioned way to spend the summer working with people. You won’t have the best reputation, but future employers will applaud your sales experience. A good way to build tenacity, conduct
    surveys and improve your self-esteem.

Food Joint

Want one-third of your daily meals covered? Then practice saying, “Do you want fries with that?” You may not look cool saying it, but you’re sure to bond with other working college students who are forced to wear the same ugly hat and apron. Practice your people skills (smiling may be in the training manual), be quick on your feet and don’t think that you will work register-only. Rushes require all hands on deck. And, on weekends, be prepared to deal with stragglers from the nearby bar scene.

Creative Minds

Flower shop

Nothing says “serenity now” like arranging flowers. Most local shops would love a delicate hand and creative eye to tend flower stems, arrange bouquets and perfect the art of bow-tying during one of their busiest times of year. But be mindful of unidentified allergies. This work environment will be floored with pollen.

Music festival

You might not actually be on stage, but getting involved in Summerfest, Lollapalooza, Bonnaroo and Caravan results in time in the sun, ample fresh air, money in your wallet and the best seats in the house come show time (OK, maybe not the best seats). Careful if you are working security — door guards are prone to being bribed for free entry. Check your moral compass before applying.

Restless Bodies

Golf Caddy

In need of flexible work hours, good money and exercise this summer? Consider walking the greens of a country club golf course. Ranked caddies can earn between $50-130 for a four-hour work day (depending on the course, and the number of bags they carry). You’ll learn patience, responsibility and how to read the green, which is the most important part, said Robert Gonzalez, sophomore in the College of Business Administration. He has worked six years as a caddy and recommends it for anyone who likes golf and ample fresh air. His tip to newbies? “Don’t talk too much, keep your eye on the ball and keep focused on the game,” he said.

Yard work

Whether it’s for a professional landscaping company or your grandmother, lacing up your work boots and digging through dirt is one way to enjoy nature while making a buck or two. Apply with the public works department at your home city. You could be the one trimming the trees at your neighborhood park. Avoid if prone to sunburns and allergic reactions.

House Cleaner

Cleaning a mess is easy when it’s not your own. Advertise your merry maid services around the block for $10 less than the going rate. It’s a two-hour time commitment that is totally flexible to any student’s at-home schedule.