Bears. BEATS. Battlestar Galactica. – Sept. 10, 2013

wide awake punch sm

Hello again from Bears. BEATS. Battlestar Galactica! We’re back for the new semester and we can’t wait to share more music with you. (We also seem to be using the royal “we” today.)

We’re starting the show with a bonus song called Bones by MS MR. As for the ususal connections, we’re starting with one of my favorites: Fast Car by Tracy Chapman. Her smooth voice is the perfect way to start the show and the mentions of a fast car bring us straight into the next song. Drive By by Train was one of the big songs of Summer 2012. While the song following Drive By is much older, it has a lot of mentions of trains. Midnight Train to Georgia by Gladys Knight and the Pips is a musical masterpiece. Midnight seems to be a great time for things, as Colbie Callait has a song called Midnight Bottle.

I may just be a music junkie, but I can’t think of bottles without thinking of The Police‘s song Message in a Bottle. The Police were led by British artist Sting, so we’re following them up with other British artist Kate Nash. Kate Nash’s Pumpkin Soup is one of her better known songs off of her album Made of Bricks. Speaking of popular pumpkins, since its release in 1995, The Smashing Pumpkins‘ song 1979 has not left the airwaves. As long as we’re singing about years, Phoenix’s song 1901 was covered by Birdy on her self titled album. Birdy was born in 1996 and was only fifteen when she released her album. Another artist on today’s show who was born in 1996 is New Zealand artist Lorde. Lorde’s first album Pure Heroine will be released 30 September, 2013. Until then, her EP The Love Club will have to do. We’re playing her titular song from that EP today.

Another New Zealand artist, Gin Wigmore, will be following up Lorde. Her music has a retro feel and emphasizes her unique voice, similar to the music of ZZ Ward or Amy Winehouse. Wigmore’s song Dirty Love can then be connected to the band Dirty Pretenders, one of whom is featured on Major Lazer‘s track Get Free. Freedom is a common thing to sing about The Black Keys have a song called Set You Free.

• A

Aimee BissonetteSep 10, 2013 at 1:32 pm

YAY!!! BBBSG is back!!!!!