BREAKING: Car catches on fire near 16th and Wisconsin

Photo by Sydney Czyzon
A car fire occurred outside Haggerty Hall on Wisconsin Avenue.

A Marquette student’s car caught on fire outside Haggerty Hall near 16th Street and Wisconsin Avenue Thursday night around 8:30 p.m.

No one reported injuries from the incident, university spokesperson Chris Stolarski said. He said the cause of the fire is unknown, though there is no evidence to suggest it was caused by anything beyond a vehicle issue.

Marquette University Police Department and the Milwaukee Fire Department responded to the incident. MUPD did not provide additional details.

Some students in the College of Engineering studying in Olin Engineering Hall witnessed the aftermath of the car fire.

Nicole Deguzman, a senior in the College of Engineering, said the firefighters sawed the hood off the car to spray the engine. She said they put the fire out “pretty quick.”

“It was smoking when I got out there, and they were just pouring water on it,” Michael Offe, a senior in the College of Engineering, said.

Will Gately, a junior in the College of Engineering, said it smelled like burning rubber outside from the fire.

Photo by Sydney Czyzon
Marquette University Police Department and Milwaukee Fire Department officials responded to the scene.

Jason Ruetten, a senior in the College of Engineering, said a friend sent a Snapchat video of the car fire before the students went outside to see it for themselves.

“I saw it and ran outside, and then two minutes later, came back in here,” Deguzman said.

No fire alarms went off in the building, the students said.

“The smoke looked like it was going to get inside for a hot second,” Deguzman said.

When the students exited the building to see the fire, they were met with an unexpected surprise: a snowball fight.

“We had a snowball fight with the firefighters,” Will Gately, a junior in the College of Engineering, said about the moments after the fire was extinguished.

“They started it first,” Offe added.