WSOC drops BIG EAST opener at Creighton

Photo by Austin Anderson
Carrie Madden scored one of Marquette’s two goals Sunday afternoon.

Marquette women’s soccer let a two-goal lead slip for the third consecutive game, however this time they were unable to take the lead back. Instead Lauren Sullivan scored a double overtime goal to give the Creighton Bluejays a 3-2 win in Marquette’s BIG EAST opener.

Sullivan hammered home the winner from just inside the box with less than three minutes left in the contest. It was Sullivan’s second goal of the game.

Molly Pfeiffer and Carrie Madden set each other up for successive goals in the first half to give Marquette a 2-0 lead.

Liz Bartels intercepted an errant pass from Creighton keeper McKenzie Meola and played Madden in behind the defense. Madden played the ball into the six-yard box, where Pfeiffer redirected it into the far corner.

Just two minutes later, Pfeiffer headed a Meegan Johnston corner kick back across the box. Madden was there to hit it on frame, where Meola was unable to hold on to the ball.

Sulllivan answered back ten minutes later with an impressive individual effort. She carried the ball straight through the Marquette defense and fired it past Maddy Henry to cut the lead in half.

The Golden Eagles held onto their lead until the 79th minute, when Ashley Cearlock beat Henry to send it into overtime.

Marquette moves to 4-5-2 (0-1-0). The Golden Eagles will try to bounce back on Thursday night when they host Seton Hall, who fell to 4-4-1 (0-1-0) with a loss to St. John’s on Saturday.