St. Louis draws Marquette on late penalty kick

Photo by Maggie Bean
Connor Alba scored his second goal of the season in the 67th minute.

All it took was one big mistake to halt Marquette’s win streak at three games. The Golden Eagles made a costly mistake in the 86th minute, when St. Louis forward Anthony Brown was fouled in the box. Max Karcher put home the penalty kick, tying the game at one and sending the teams to overtime.

Marquette evaded a handful of top-notch scoring opportunities from the Billikens to earn the Golden Eagles’ first draw of the season, 1-1.

Marquette defended its 1-0 lead for nearly 20 minutes in the second half. After a quiet first 45 from both sides, Connor Alba scored his second goal of the season from the top of the box in the 67th minute.

Keeper Wicho Barraza had one of his busier outings of the season, making four saves. Mac Wheeler, who started the Golden Eagles’ last game, was not able to play due to a red card against Northwestern. However, there’s a strong chance Barraza would have started anyways due to Louis Bennett rotating the goalies each game.

Luka Prpa was originally credited with an assist on Alba’s goal, but that was later changed to Danny Jarosz, ending Prpa’s point streak at four games.

The Golden Eagles return to play UW-Milwaukee in the 44th Milwaukee Cup Wednesday. The Panthers are 1-3, losing to Illinois-Chicago Saturday night. Marquette has possessed the trophy the past two seasons, defeating UWM in 2014 and drawing the Panthers in 2015.