Women’s soccer earns first victory at Illinois State

Photo by Maggie Bean
Darian Powell scored the game winner for Marquette Thursday night.

It was a wild night, but Marquette women’s soccer earned their first win of the season Thursday at Illinois State. An impressive second half helped the Golden Eagles to a 2-1 victory.

Freshman Emily Hess earned her first career start in the contest after proving herself in 54 minutes in the previous game against Kansas. That turned out to be a good decision, as Hess used her favored left foot to swing a corner kick into a dangerous position and into the net in the fifth minute.

It took a moment for the celebration to ensue because Marquette’s players appealed an apparent handball call. Moments later the ref signaled for a goal and the Golden Eagles had their first lead of the season.

Just a minute later it looked like Illinois State had tied it up via a long-distance free kick, but the referee had blown his whistle just before the kick, causing Marquette to stop playing. The goal was called back and Henry saved the shot, ending the chaos for just a moment.

The Redbirds equalized in the 23rd minute when a cross bounced off of Marquette defender Cali Pyzdrowski and found the side netting. The goal went down as an own goal for Pyzdrowski, who nearly redeemed herself two minutes later.

On the following possession Pyzdrowski rifled a high cross into the box that Carrie Madden headed home, but the goal was called back when the assistant referee ruled that Madden was in an offside position.

All that action came in just the first 25 minutes, but things slowed down after that. The halftime whistle blew with the game tied at one.

Darian Powell started the second half after playing the last five minutes of the first. Her presence in the Marquette attack clearly changed the complexion of the game.

Marquette started the first half off with two early corner kicks, forcing ISU keeper Haley Smith into a tough save on one of them.

The Golden Eagles continuously increased the pressure throughout the half and it culminated in a 78th minute goal from a corner kick.

Carrie Madden found Molly Pfeiffer in the box with a brilliant cross from left to right, leading to a corner kick after a Smith save.

Pyzdrowski delivered a corner that mirrored Hess’ first half attempt, a bullet right at the keeper. Powell got up for the header, forcing an adjustment from the keeper. The ball flew past Powell’s head and bounced off of Smith’s hand and in.

Morgan Proffitt nearly sealed the deal with a 25-yard blast that rang off the right post. Madden hit the opposite post with the rebound shot and the ball bounced out of bounds.

It was strictly defensive business from that moment on, as the Golden Eagles shifted back while keeping the pressure on in midfield.

Maddy Henry remained poised throughout the last ten minutes as a few through balls forced her into action, but the Redbirds never came close to scoring. The second half largely featured clinical defending and dominant possession from the Golden Eagles.

The Golden Eagles (1-2) host Michigan (2-0-1) Sunday night at Valley Fields for Marquette’s home opener. The Wolverines have played all three of their games this season at home. They knocked off No. 12 Notre Dame 2-0 Thursday night.