Men’s lacrosse adds former player Jake Richard to coaching staff

Photo by Doug Peters
Jake Richard was second on the team with 63 ground balls his senior season.

The men’s lacrosse team announced the addition of Jake Richard to Joe Amplo’s coaching staff Friday. He’ll work primarily with the team’s defense.

Andrew Stimmel, who was the team’s defensive coordinator last year, is no longer with the program.

“After a deliberate and thoughtful search that allowed us to interact with many great coaches, it became evident to me that hiring Jake Richard as our assistant coach was the best thing to do for Marquette Lacrosse,” Amplo said in a release. “I have said many times that we win with people and Jake Richard is one of the best people that I have ever been around.”

Richard, a defensive midfielder in college, played four seasons with the Golden Eagles. He played an instrumental role in the rise of the program, earning All-BIG EAST team and third-team All-American honors in 2016. This will be his first coaching job.

“What he lacks in experience was very easy to overlook when you analyze his character, desire to be great and his willingness to learn,” Amplo said. “He will make an immediate and sustained impact on our student-athletes, team and Marquette University. I am excited to work with him and most proud to now call him a peer.”

Richard was drafted by the New York Lizards of Major League Lacrosse with the 35th overall pick in the draft. He has two goals and nine ground balls in seven professional games.

Stimmel joined Amplo’s staff last season after two seasons as an assistant at Yale. Marquette was tied as the eighth-best team in scoring defense in Division I lacrosse under his watch.