Wally Ellenson removed from basketball team

Redshirt junior sparkplug averaged 1.9 points and 2.2 rebounds last season
Photo by Ben Erickson/[email protected]

Marquette men’s basketball announced late Thursday that forward Wally Ellenson is no longer a member of the team. He will remain on full scholarship for track and field through the end of the 2016-’17 indoor season when his eligibility is up.

“We appreciate the contributions Wally has made during his two years with the program and wish him the best of luck the remainder of the season in the high jump and moving forward,” head coach Steve Wojciechowski said in a statement.

Ellenson averaged 1.9 points and 2.2 rebounds in 29 games last season, his first with Marquette after transferring from Minnesota.

The four-time All-American high jumper won both the indoor and outdoor BIG EAST championships in 2015. He also competed at the 2015 USATF Outdoor Championship. His season-best jump of 2.20 meters (7 feet, 2.5 inches) currently ranks 6th in the NCAA.

Late Wednesday night, noted Marquette basketball blog Paint Touches tweeted about suspicious activity by Ellenson family members, including from Wally’s brother Henry. When ESPN’s Jeff Goodman tweeted about Ellenson’s dismissal, his mother Holly quoted the tweet and said, “Smoke and Mirrors.”

The Golden Eagles now have one open scholarship to use on a graduating high school player or a transfer.

Marquette also announced that walk-on freshman guard Christian Haffner will transfer to play at another school. He saw no game action.