Golf finishes fourth at Hoosier Collegiate

Photo by Maggie Bean
(Photo courtesy of Maggie Bean/Marquette Athletics)

The Marquette Golf team had one of its best showings of the season at this past weekend’s Hoosier Collegiate Invitational, where three team members finished in the top 25 of all competitors. This marks the third time this season that the team has finished in the top five overall.

Although the tournament was shortened to 36 holes due to inclement weather, the team did not save their aspirations of a top-five finish for a sunny day, and finished fourth out of the thirteen team field with a score of 587, 11 strokes-over par.

It was senior Nick Nelson who led the way for the Golden Eagles this past weekend. He tied for seventh out of the 75-person field with a score of 144, which was on par for the course.

“He’s such a competitor and it really came out this week,” said head coach Steve Bailey. “Just like Charlie (Maleki) I think he’s peaking at the right time.”

Freshmen Maleki (tied for 10th) and Oliver Farrell (tied for 23rd) had strong showings, and gave hope for a bright future for Marquette golf. Out of the remaining three Golden Eagle Golfers, no one finished worse than 48th.

“It was nice to see Charlie, in only his second event playing for the squad, proving that he belongs,” Bailey said.

The team’s success is a welcome change from their past three golf tournaments — excluding their match play victory against Grand Canyon University — where they finished ninth or worse overall as a team.

The team plays their only remaining regular season tournament this weekend as they head to El Macero, California to compete in the El Macero Classic.

“We need our guys firing on all cylinders coming down the stretch,” Bailey said.

With one tournament left, it appears as though the team may be peaking at the right time in an effort to win a second straight BIG EAST golf title.

“We’re putting in the time and effort, and we saw some good progress in Indiana,” Bailey said.

Marquette has a brief hiatus after the event before they partake in the BIG EAST championship in Okatie, South Carolina on May 1.