Vote passes $100 student fee for new wellness, recreation offerings

Photo by Maryam Tunio
Photo by Maryam Tunio/[email protected]

Marquette Student Government announced today that its Rec & Wellness Referendum passed after yesterday’s vote, meaning students will have to pay a $100 fee in the coming years for a new recreation and wellness facility.

MUSG President Zack Wallace and MUSG Communications Vice President Emily Gorz said in a press release that 30 percent of eligible students voted and 74 percent of them were in favor of the new fee. 26 percent opposed.

The earliest the fee will be implemented is the 2017-’18 school year, according to the press release. Every student will pay the fee for each school year they’re enrolled. In addition to the new facility, the money will also go toward short-term fixes to current rec/wellness spaces while the new facility is being constructed.

MUSG will work with students and university leadership to implement the fee, according to the press release.

The new facility was proposed because MUSG had a feasibility study on campus recreational facilities conducted in 2010. The study found that Marquette’s average amount of recreational space per student is 6.92 square feet. The national average is 10-12 square feet per student.

This vote’s turnout was significantly higher than turnout for other MUSG votes in recent history, according to the press release. MUSG’s fall 2015 elections received 10 percent of voters, while its spring 2015 elections received 23 percent.