Unusual Netflix Pick: ‘This is Spinal Tap’

Unusual Netflix Pick: This is Spinal Tap
Photo by rogerebert.com

This week’s unusual Netflix pick is the cult film “This is Spinal Tap.” This 1984 rock-mock-umentary is about a fictional heavy metal band that is touring to promote their new album. The film’s image on Netflix is what drew me in. Three rockers with big hair standing against a black backdrop with an epic lighting bolt in the background, how could I not click on it? What I saw was a dry British film, satirically portraying the life of rock ‘n’ rollers in the seventies. Think about if Monty Python and Led Zeppelin made a movie together.

It starts out as a documentary about the band called Spinal Tap setting out to do an American tour for their latest album debut. Band members include David St. Hubbins (Michael McKean), Derek Smalls (Harry Shearer) and Nigel Tufnel (Christopher Guest).

But they have a lot against them. Is their fame dying out? Are heavy metal hair bands just a fad? Do they have what it takes to reinstate their career as rock legends? “This is Spinal Tap” is a hilarious journey where everything that could go wrong on a rock ‘n’ roll tour does.

First of all, the tour is for their new album named “Smell the Glove.” The music is all set and recorded, but there is one problem: the cover is too risqué and the record label deems it sexist. However, the band is confused. How can a picture of a naked woman in bondage on all fours being forced to smell a leather glove held by a dominating man possibly be sexist?

As the movie goes on, it’s revealed that the band members are now in their forties and leaning towards obscurity within the rock scene. We see interviews where each member reminisced of the time back in the heyday of their career. Nonetheless, the band grabs the interest of a director whose notable artistic accomplishment is a commercial for television. He comes along for the ride, interviewing the band members about their beginnings and aspirations, only to find out how goofy they are.

It parodies the archetypes of the rock ‘n’ roll world: inflated egos, a disagreement within the band, sleazy managers taking over and it’s all delivered in dry British humor. The band members’ lofty perception of themselves distracts them from the sheer catastrophe of their own tour.

Many stores tell them that their newly released album “Smell the Glove” is too racy to sell in their store. They will have to change the album cover or risk more stores pulling the album. In the end, Spinal Tap finds rebirth when they decide to tour in Japan.

The movie is silly, sharp and overall good entertainment. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a movie that highlights the best of subtle, quirky, British humor.

★★★ out of 5