College of Professional Studies to be removed by fall 2016

An email sent to the Marquette community Tuesday announced plans to phase out the College of Professional Studies by fall 2016 while retaining one of its degree programs.

The College of Professional Studies offers undergraduate degrees to working adults. A review is underway and once completed, the university will phase out the college’s operations, except for its leadership and organizations degrees, which will move to the College of Arts & Sciences.

The college’s other degree programs in psychology, criminology and law studies and professional communications are no longer accepting applicants.

This decision was made after two years of review and in accordance with the strategic plan, Beyond Boundaries. The university found that the college is “high quality” but “not financially viable” due to increased competition.

“We will ensure that all students have the opportunity to complete their degrees,” the email said. “We will also do everything we can to find positions for faculty and staff, as appropriate, within the university.”

Future Milwaukee, the college’s community leadership program, will continue to be offered, according to Provost Daniel Myers and Professional Studies Dean Robert Deahl, who wrote the email.

Myers and Deahl said they are looking at ways to provide education to non-traditional students in the future.