Milwaukee offers an abundance of cultural festivals

As summer nears, the immense amount of activities in Milwaukee may seem to overwhelm any student who will be in the area. A few intriguing events that any Milwaukeean can attend and learn something new in the process are the many cultural festivals that will be hosted in town this summer.

1. Polish Fest: Hosted from June 12-14 at the Summerfest Grounds, formally known as Henry W. Maier Festival Park, 200 N. Harbor Dr. in Milwaukee, this festival offers a weekend glimpse of everything Polish. The weekend will include Polish sheepdogs to greet audience members upon arrival, musical performances throughout each day and a place for souvenirs such as pottery and jewelry that can be purchased at the Sukiennice Marketplace.
  1. Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church Greek Fest: This festival takes places each year at the Wisconsin State Fair Park from June 19-21 this summer. With tradition song, dance and delicacies, this event will be a unique experience for immersing yourself in a high-energy festival.
  1. Bastille Days: Making a return this summer is Bastille Days, a French festival in Cathedral Square Park of downtown Milwaukee July 9-12. The annual event will feature wine tasting, entertainment including street performers, musicians and minstrels, as well as chefs showing cooking demonstrations. If you cannot locate the festival by the delicious smells of French cuisine, you can look for the 43-foot replica Eiffel Tower that will be on display throughout the course of the four-day event.
  1. Festa Italiana: This Italian festival will be held at the Summerfest Grounds from July 17-19. The event will feature authentic Italian food, activities for all ages and performers from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. each day. Activities include Italian Idol, bocce ball, pizza-making contests and more.
  1. German Fest: The weekend of July 24-26 will be spent exploring the German culture. Over the course of the event there will be two parades, one with children, a performance with Glockenspiels (instruments similar to xylophones) and a soccer tournament and a Mardi Gras Show that will feature some of the traditional costumes of the holiday.
  1. Irish Fest: This event includes 100 acts that will be perform on the Summerfest Grounds August 13-16. The event will include a long list of contests in which audience members can participate. Examples are a baking contest, a leprechaun contest and photography and poetry contests. The event allows those in attendance to become involved in the culture and excitement that Irish Fest has to offer.