HALFTIME: Marquette leads DePaul in sluggish first stanza

Many teams have torched Marquette’s 2-3 zone defense, but the DePaul Blue Demons are not one of those teams. Marquette held DePaul to just 8-of-30 shooting and took a 28-19 lead into halftime. If not for a Jamee Crockett 3-pointer at the buzzer, Marquette would have set a season-low for points allowed in a half.

The Golden Eagles are sending off seniors Matt Carlino, Derrick Wilson and Juan Anderson. The three combined for 10 points, 10 rebounds and two assists in the first half. 9 of those 10 points came from Carlino and five of the 10 boards are courtesy of Anderson. Luke Fischer leads all scorers with 12 points and five boards. Marquette shot only 34.5 percent from the floor.

Marquette dominated DePaul in a similar fashion in the teams’ first contest on New Year’s Eve, but collapsed down the stretch in a 61-58 loss at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill.

This game has an impact on who Marquette plays in the first round of the Big East Tournament Wednesday. Marquette must win and Creighton must lose to secure the ninth seed and play eighth-seeded Seton Hall. If the Golden Eagles and Bluejays both win, Marquette will play DePaul as the 10th seed. If Marquette loses, they will rematch with DePaul.