Student injured in Madrid improving

Jennifer Waters was grazed by a car last month and received surgery for cranial fracture. Photo courtesy of Patrick Cosgrove.

In a letter to the Marquette community, Vice President for Student Affairs L. Christopher Miller said the student who was injured while studying abroad in Madrid remains in critical condition, but her condition is greatly improved.

Jennifer Waters, a junior in the College of Business Administration, reportedly fell back and hit her head after she was grazed by a car. She was reportedly on her way to a religious service while studying abroad.

She suffered a cranial fracture, and had surgery to stop the bleeding before she was put into a medically-induced coma, according to a Facebook post from WAHS breakthrough, a bible study group at West Aurora High School, where Waters attended.

Around 100 people gathered in the Chapel of the Holy Family in the Alumni Memorial Union Oct. 24 to pray for Waters’ health.

“We are told she is awake, her memory and speech are returning and she is eating and listening to music,” Miller said in the email. “Jennifer remains in an intensive care unit in a Madrid hospital, but doctors are hopeful that she will be moved soon to a neurological unit where she will continue her therapy.”

In a statement on her Facebook page, Waters’ mother Lisa said Jen is continuing to improve every day.

“Our girl is eating better and getting stronger and stronger,” the mother said. “This morning before we arrived, Jen blew up a balloon — unreal considering four days ago she giggled her way through physical therapy and wasn’t able to focus.”