BYU guard Matt Carlino transferring to Marquette

Matt Carlino chose to transfer to Marquette from BYU. Photo via Yahoo.

New men’s basketball coach Steve Wojciechowski made his first major roster move Friday when he landed a commitment from transferring BYU guard Matt Carlino. A three-year starter for the Cougars, Carlino will graduate this spring and will play out his final year of eligibility in the fall.

“We are proud to welcome Matt to the Marquette family,” Wojciechowski said.  “He is a great addition to our program and brings experience, versatility and a hunger to win to our roster.”

The 6-foot-2, 175-pound point guard averaged 13.7 points and 4.3 assists per game this year and led BYU to the NCAA Tournament. The Cougars landed a No. 10 seed, and Carlino scored 15 points and five assists in their second round loss to Oregon.

In just three seasons, he ranks in the Top 10 all-time at BYU in three-pointers made, assists and steals. He was all-league as a freshman in the Mountain West before the Cougars moved to the West Coast Conference.

Carlino and BYU played Marquette in the second round of the 2012 NCAA Tournament. In Marquette’s 88-68 blowout win, Carlino started, scored seven points and dished out four assists in 32 minutes.

He joins an already crowded Marquette backcourt that features veteran presences in rising seniors Derrick Wilson and Todd Mayo, as well as a trio of 2013 recruits, rising sophomores John Dawson and Jajuan Johnson and redshirt freshman Duane Wilson. The transfer figures to start at the point under Wojciechowski, as Derrick Wilson plays a more natural role of defensive guard off the bench. Carlino provides a nice natural compliment to Derrick Wilson, since he is much more effective with three-point shooting.

He was scheduled to visit Purdue next week before visiting Marquette the week after, but the situation progressed in the 48 hours prior to Friday’s decision.

Carlino’s great uncle Brian Brunkhorst played at Marquette from 1965-68 under legendary coach Al McGuire. Brunkhorst was a rebounding force for the Golden Eagles and captained the team his senior year.

As Wojciechowski focuses primarily on securing an elite 2015 recruiting class, experienced players like Carlino will make next year’s transition season run smoothly.