Marquette performs well at blustery Valley Fields

Photo+courtesy+of+Marquette+Athletics+
Photo by Maggie Casey
Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics
Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics
Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics

The Marquette men’s and women’s track & field teams competed in cold, windy weather at the Marquette Duals Friday at Valley Fields winning 17 individual titles, including a school record from Jon Krzyszkowski in the javelin throw.

On the sprint side, senior Katie Kemmerer won the women’s 200-meter dash in 25.22 seconds, and classmate Gretchen Homan was runner-up with a time of 25.37 seconds. Freshman Brandon Bell finished runner-up in the men’s 200 meter dash in 22.58 seconds. Freshman Anna Strong won the women’s 400-meter dash in a time of 56.31 seconds, while senior Kate Hein was second in 56.84 seconds. Junior Brendan Franz also placed third in the men’s 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:00.66.

Senior Carlye Schuh won three titles. Schuh won the women’s 100-meter dash in 12.33 seconds, and freshman Arra Strong took third in 12.74 seconds. Schuh also won the long jump with a distance of 19 feet, 9.75 inches, and the triple jump with a jump of 37 feet, 1 inch.

In middle distance, freshman Alison Parker won the women’s 800-meter run with a time of 2:20.74, and sophomore Nicole Ethier placed third in 2:22.88. Sophomore Kayla Spencer finished second in the women’s 1500-meter run with a time of 4:58.42. Senior Spencer Agnew finished third in the men’s 1500-meter run with a time of 4:08.26.

In the long distance events, junior Rebecca Pachuta won the women’s 3000-meter run with a time of 10:27.57, and freshman Brittney Feivor finished second in 10:34.36. Sophomore Cody Haberkorn took second in the men’s 3000-meter run in 9:08.04.

It was an immensely successful day for the field athletes, who took home 10 individual titles, capped off by a school record.

Freshman Omo Tseumah leaped to victory in the women’s high jump with a height of 5 feet, 5 inches, and freshman Bridget Bodee was runner-up, also with a jump of 5 feet, 5 inches. Senior Michael Saindon won the men’s long jump with a leap of 22 feet, 2.50 inches, and took third in the high jump with a height of 6 feet, 6.75 inches. Sophomore Brett Tobin won the men’s triple jump with a jump of 43 feet, 9.75 inches.

It was a sweep on both sides of the pole vault, as freshman Nicole Jaffke won with a vault of 11 feet, 0.25 inches on the women’s side. Junior Abby Croft placed second with the same height of 11 feet, 0.25 inches, and sophomore Lindsay Smoljan was third with a height of 9 feet, 0.50 inches. On the men’s side, three sophomores swept the event. Vinny Martello claimed first with a height of 13 feet, 11.75 inches, John Kaplan took second with a vault of 15 feet, 5.75 inches, and Jordan Smith was third with a height of 9 feet, 0.50 inches.

Junior Samantha Kennedy won the women’s hammer throw with a 182 feet, 4 inch throw, while senior Kristen Gaffey took third with a distance of 154 feet, 5 inches. Kennedy also won the javelin with a throw of 94 feet, 11 inches, and sophomore Tatyana Pashibin took second with a distance of 93 feet. Gaffey won the discus throw with a toss of 133 feet, 9 inches, and the shot put with 43 feet, 6.50 inches.

Junior William Koeck took first in the men’s hammer throw with a distance of 181 feet, 4 inches, while senior Bret Hardin placed second with a toss of 179 feet, 5 inches. Koeck was also runner-up in the discus throw with a distance of 138 feet, 11 inches. Krzyszkowski placed first and set a school record in the men’s javelin throw with a distance of 207 feet, 9 inches. Senior Patrick Stuart finished second in the men’s shot put with a put of 48 feet, 2.50 inches.

The Golden Eagles next meet is April 11-12 at the Lee Calhoun Invitational, hosted by Western Illinois in Macomb, Ill.