Senefeld displays gutsy race tactics at Notre Dame

Tineo-PazThe Marquette women’s and men’s cross-country teams placed third and fourth, respectively, at this weekend’s National Catholic Championship in Notre Dame, Ind. The teams’ standings did not change from 2012, but the top finishers on each side did.

Sophomore Kellie Greenwood continues to assert herself as the top runner on the women’s side as she placed ninth overall in the varsity women’s 5,000-meter race in 17:46.1. The winning time of 17:17.9 by Notre Dame senior Kelly Curran was much slower than Rebecca Tracy’s 17:11.8 in 2012 due to the wet course Friday.

Freshman Brittney Feivor ran well, placing 16th overall in 18:04.3 and finishing as the top freshman overall. She was the team’s fourth place finisher at the Wisconsin Open to begin the season.

On the men’s side, redshirt senior Jack Senefeld displayed gutsy running tactics by sticking to the pack of Notre Dame runners for the first half of the race. Six Irishmen led the race from the gun as Senefeld attempted to hang on with them for as long as possible. He finished 12th overall in 25:40.2.

Spencer Agnew’s fitness is set for a breakout race. With the rain coming down in Notre Dame, Mother Nature may have other plans for later on in the season. Agnew finished second for Marquette and 15th overall in 25:50.8.

Sophomore Andres Tineo-Paz locked his eyes and charged to the finish line as he out-kicked sophomore Nick Miller of Loyola (Ill.) by 0.6 of a second in the home stretch. He finished third on the team. Sophomore Cody Haberkorn and redshirt sophomore David Sajdak finished behind him for the Golden Eagles.

Notre Dame took both team titles Friday and are ranked third on both Great Lakes Regional Rankings. Marquette is unranked.

The Golden Eagles will travel to Louisville on Oct. 5 for the Greater Louisville Classic.