Marquette Men’s Basketball: Three keys, players to watch against Wisconsin

Three keys to a Marquette win

Control the tempo

As is always the case with Wisconsin, the Badgers will try to grind Marquette to death by playing a slow game and minimizing possessions. An ideal score for the Badgers would be in the 50s, but the Golden Eagles need to push the young Badgers to play their style of play, namely running the fast break and getting plenty of paint touches.

According to Ken Pomeroy, Wisconsin ranks No. 334 in terms of adjusted tempo, averaging just 62 possessions per game, while Marquette ranks No. 66 with 69.3. Anything less than 65 possessions and the Golden Eagles will be in trouble.

Don’t let up

Wisconsin has struggled at the outset this season, heading to Milwaukee with a 6-3 record. A road loss to Florida and a neutral site defeat at the hands of Creighton are nothing to be ashamed of, but a home court loss to a Virginia team that will be a bubble squad all year is head scratching.

The Badgers boast just three seniors who see significant minutes and have rotated between sophomore Traevon Jackson and redshirt freshman George Marshall at point guard in lieu of Jordan Taylor. Without Josh Gasser, who was lost for the season with a torn ACL, this Badger team has shown a tendency to get rattled. Marquette needs to take control early and put Wisconsin away when it has the chance.

Forget about Florida

This shouldn’t be too hard of a task because the game happened nine days before and coach Buzz Williams always has his team prepared, but Marquette can’t make some of the same mistakes it made against Florida again on Saturday. Junior guard Vander Blue scored 20 of the team’s 49 points with the next leading scorer tallying just six.

If Marquette allows the thoughts of its romp in Gainesville, Fla., to re-enter its mind, it could be a long night for the Golden Eagles. But this team took on adversity last year when then-junior guard Junior Cadougan missed the Wisconsin game because of a suspension and then-senior forward Jae Crowder scored just two points in 24 minutes. It is the more talented team this time around and needs to play like it from the opening tip.

Four key players for Wisconsin

Jackson/Marshall

Jackson earned his third start in Wisconsin’s 86-40 win over Nebraska-Omaha Tuesday night and scored four points in 21 minutes. He turned the ball over just twice, but only had one assist. Marshall played 15 minutes off the bench and had just three points while going 1-for-5 from the field. Marquette can’t let either of these players have a good game.

Sam Dekker, freshman forward

Dekker has been the most pleasant surprise for Bo Ryan’s squad this year, averaging 10.4 points per game, good for a tie for third on the team, and he is shooting 52.3 percent from the field. Dekker came to Madison as a heralded recruit and has lived up to the billing so far.

Most freshmen don’t earn many minutes their first season under Ryan, but Dekker plays well beyond his years. His ability to get to the rim and finish as well as knock down 3-pointers could give Marquette fits. Expect some combination of Vander Blue, Trent Lockett or even Jamil Wilson to cover Dekker when he enters the game.

Jared Berggren, senior forward

Berggren, along with Ryan Evans, has the most experience on this team and his having his best year yet in Madison. The 6-foot-10 big man is averaging 14.9 points per game and is pulling down 6.7 rebounds per game. His ability to stretch defenses by knocking down 3-pointers will be something Marquette will have to contend with.

Expect redshirt senior center Chris Otule and junior forward Davante Gardner to have their hands full guarding Berggren 20 feet from the basket, and the senior could be in for a big night.