Marquette Men’s Basketball: Game deemed no contest due to continued floor condensation

Due to floor condensation that wouldn’t go away, the Marquette-Ohio State game on the USS Yorktown in Mount Pleasant, S.C., has been declared a “no contest” and has been canceled.

The decision was made after talking with coaches from both teams, referees, athletic directors and Morale Entertainment, the marketing group representing the Carrier Classic.

“It is disappointing,” coach Buzz Williams said. “We’re very thankful for the opportunity to be here, but at the same time I think it’s the responsibility of all parties involved that the health of all of our players is monumental.

“I think it was the right decision.”

Ohio State guard Aaron Craft said he was disappointed, but he agreed with the decision.

“We got geared up to play a very good team, but we got to spend some time with some people who represent our country, so we can’t be to disappointed about that,” Craft said.

The east end of the floor, which was away from the water, was fine to play on, but the west end, closer to the water, wasn’t.

Marquette players were also disappointed, but agreed that it was in the best interest of both teams to make sure both sides were safe.

“It was like somebody spilled some water, so it was very slippery and they didn’t want us to play and we didn’t really want to play either,” freshman guard Steve Taylor said.

More in Tuesday’s Marquette Tribune.