CAMPBELL: After the election, let real life continue

When I woke up this morning, I discovered something very strange. Just in case you missed it, the 2012 presidential election ended. Which is weird, right? It felt very weird to me. No more ads, no more campaign emails (Barack can finally stop filling up my inbox…). I’m still trying to adjust. It feels like a bad break up – almost hard to believe it’s over.

Like breaking up, we’re going to have to find things to keep our minds off the abrupt end of the election, so I’ve come up with a few suggestions.

Thanksgiving: I, for one, always love a good parade. I might even live-tweet it. Actually, that’s usually what happens when I sit down to watch something like that. I also am looking forward to cranberry sauce and those little turkeys you make out of Oreo cookies and candy corn.

Marquette Basketball: Obviously. If I had to rank the seasons in order, it would go like this: Basketball, Winter, Christmas, Autumn, Summer, Spring. I’ll be ringing out ahoya tomorrow with the rest of you – I’ve been looking forward to this since March.

-Speaking of seasons: Christmas. You know how I feel about this one already. I tried to explain how I felt about Christmas to someone the other day, and the best explanation I could manage was how Jack Skellington feels about it in “The Nightmare Before Christmas.” It’s a feeling he can’t explain to all those Scrooges in Halloweentown, but he knows it’s beautiful.

Finals. Not that these are something to look forward to, but they are right around the corner. If you’re looking for something to fill the time campaign ads have been monopolizing as of late, you could always study …

I hope this list is helpful to you all. It’s not going to be an easy transition, but we’re all going to have to make it through. I’d suggest focusing on the positive. I really can’t think of anything negative about no more “You’re damn right!” ads, so it should be pretty easy (I don’t care what your political beliefs are, those were the most annoying ones of all). Enjoy Ordinary Time.