Gwen Moore retains House seat

U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore (D-Milwaukee) was re-elected to Congress Tuesday, where she sits on the House Budget Committee alongside fellow Wisconsin Rep. and former GOP vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan.

Moore, who represents Wisconsin’s 4th District, beat out Republican challenger Dan Sebring and Independent candidate Robert R. Raymond to keep her seat, which she has held since 2005. Moore is the second woman and first African-American elected to Congress from Wisconsin

Despite being the least wealthy member of Wisconsin’s congressional delegation, according to her filed financial disclosure report, Moore had a fundraising advantage in her re-election campaign, raising more than $750,000 by October in comparison to Sebring’s $26,000.

Moore spoke at the Democratic National Convention earlier this year, delivering a defense of President Barack Obama’s record and highlighting the role of women serving in Congress.

“I’m working hard to end violence against women,” she said at the convention.

Moore was the only person on the ballot aside from the presidential and Wisconsin senate candidates who was running opposed. Candidates running for other local offices in the Milwaukee area did not have challengers.

The state senate seat in the 6th District was won by Nikaya Harris (D). The state house seat in the 16th District was won by incumbent Leon Young (D), who ran unopposed. Incumbent John Chisholm (D) won the Milwaukee County district attorney race. Joseph Czamezki (D) ran unopposed and will remain the county clerk. Voters re-elected Daniel Diliberti (D) as county treasurer. John La Fave (D) ran unopposed and was re-elected as the register of deeds.