Michigan native finds new home with DPS

Cpl. Andrew Wellman came to Marquette not knowing anyone at the university or in the city of Milwaukee. Since then, he has managed to excel in both his career and in finding a new home away from home.

Wellman grew up in Michigan and decided to stay in state studying criminal justice at Michigan State University. While there, Wellman decided to join the “family business.” His father was a police officer and detective for a combined 26 years of service. Wellman became a college reserve police officer and served for three years during his time at Michigan State.

After graduating from college in 2006, Wellman worked as a youth counselor at an outdoor treatment center for teens in the criminal justice system in Alabama. He soon saw a posting for a job that fit his previous experiences and applied. Wellman was selected for the job, so he picked up everything and left for Milwaukee to work for Marquette’s DPS.

For his first three years, Wellman was a DPS officer, and last year, he was promoted to his current position as corporal. In this role, he assists officers and works as a shift supervisor. In addition to his work as a corporal, he has conducted firearms instruction for three years for new DPS employees.

“I wanted to take on a bigger role in the department,” Wellman said. “I wanted to take on more responsibility. Obviously, I would like to grow within the department and take on new, exciting things when given the opportunity.”

Now that Wellman has been with DPS for nearly five years, he has been able to not only find a home in Milwaukee, but also within the department.

“The other department members have kind of become an extended family,” Wellman said. “I can’t imagine working anywhere else now. Five years into it feels like I have found a good spot. I am really happy with it.”

While Wellman cites the rigorous and long hours as extremely difficult, he finds a particular joy in helping the Marquette students and community he has grown to know and love.

“I like to help people,” Wellman said. “I think that’s why anybody should get into this field. It has been a great place to work. I really enjoy everything about the Marquette community.”

Wellman is considered a rising star in DPS. He has not been in the department long, but he has already taken many leadership positions.

“I would have to say that Cpl. Wellman is one our most promising young leaders,” said Lt. Kevin Walz, Wellman’s supervisor. “His professionalism and attention to detail is a huge asset to the shift. I’m confident in any decision Cpl. Wellman makes regarding shift operations.”

Coming to a new area just a year out of college, Wellman appreciates the friendliness he has experienced within the offices and streets of Marquette.

“This is the first place that felt like I could talk to people,” Wellman said. “I have made a lot of close friends over the past five years.”