Marquette unites against heart disease

Photo by Vale Cardenas/ [email protected].

More than 130 Marquette faculty, students and staff participated in a walk held by The American Heart Association to benefit heart disease research in Milwaukee last Sunday.

The walk raised $373,894 of its $570,000 goal. The Marquette teams raised $3,874.09 to benefit the AHA.

Milwaukee participants joined more than a million others in 300 cities across America to take a stand against heart disease.

According to the AHA website, cardiovascular disease is the top killer of all Americans.Someone dies due to heart disease every 38 seconds. Heart disease also kills more women than all forms of cancer combined. The heart walk helps further preventative measures and gets life-saving information to those in need.

University Provost John Pauly and Jeanne Hossenlopp, vice provost for research and dean of the graduate school, led the Marquette team in the walk.

“The walk is part of Marquette’s larger commitment to the wellness of its students and employees,” Pauly said in an email before the walk. “Having more than a hundred of us out there is going to be great fun.”

Pauly said Marquette supported teams from the graduate school, office of the provost, Raynor Library and department of exercise science. Pauly said about 138 Marquette students, faculty and staff were scheduled to participate.

For Hossenlopp, the walk was personal, as members of her family have succumbed to heart disease.

“My father died from heart disease at the age of 52, and I have a sibling who lives with a genetic, progressive cardiac arrhythmia disorder,” Hossenlopp said. “This has made all of my family aware of the impact that heart disease can have on us.”

Pauly said Hossenlopp encouraged Marquette’s participation in the heart walk and the American Heart Association. Pauly has also supported making this one of Marquette’s wellness program initiatives.

“I think it’s important that researchers study heart disease across all populations,” Pauly said. “Over the last several years, doctors and researchers have recognized the importance of looking for and treating heart disease in women. Heart disease also continues to be the leading cause of death and disability among minorities.”

“The walk, and the funds raised through it, showed the commitment of the Milwaukee community to help create healthier lives,” Hossenlopp said in an email. “Marquette had an excellent turnout, thanks to 100 members of the exercise science team. There were also teams from the Raynor Library, the office of the provost and the graduate school. It was a beautiful day to take a walk along the lakefront.”

Pauly and Hossenlopp said they want continued support of the university in the effort to fight heart disease.

“We are also working here at Marquette to support research in this area,” Hossenlopp said. “Marquette has received over $600,000 in research funding over the past six years from the American Heart Association.”