Marquette Women’s Volleyball: Beyer continues MU’s success in the professional ranks

Ashley Beyer's professional team, Lindestag Volley, recently won the regular season title in Sweden. Tribune File Photo

The Al McGuire Center has had its fair share of spectacular athletes walk its halls, but there is one type that stands out above the rest. It’s the person wearing gold around their neck, not just on their shirts or pants.

Marquette legend Dwyane Wade won a gold medal in the 2008 Olympic Games. Women’s basketball coach Terri Mitchell won gold at the 2008 Women’s U18 Women’s FIBA Championships. The athletic department can now add Ashley Beyer to the recent recipients.

Beyer used the spring semester to play volleyball professionally in Sweden for Lindsberg Volley. The three-time All-Big East selection helped a veteran team capture gold over Hytle/Halmstad in the Elitserien championships.

Beyer started playing in Sweden during the middle of the team’s season. Coach Bond Shymansky had a personal relationship with the head coach for Lindsberg Volley, Matthew Botsford. Shymansky believed Beyer would be able to play right away and help the team win a championship.

“It’s such a great experience for her,” Shymansky said. “She had some opportunities to play in better leagues or tougher programs, but I didn’t think she would play as much.”

Playing in Sweden was an easier transition than some other countries may have been. The majority of citizens in the country speak English, allowing Beyer to adapt to a new culture quickly.

Beyer was the anchor as an outside hitter for a team that earned Marquette’s first invitation to the NCAA Tournament last season. Beyer only played three years at Marquette but ranks fourth on the all-time kills list. Her skill set is unique and has translated well to the international game.

“To see her adapt to a different style, an international style was no shock to me,” Shymansky said. “International volleyball prizes a six-rotation player like Beyer.”

Beyer is the third Golden Eagle to play professional volleyball. Doors were opened for her by former teammates Nikki Klingsporn and Rabbecka Gonyo, who played a professionally overseas after their college career at Marquette concluded.

Beyer is continuing a budding tradition that gives current and future players hope of making a career out of playing the sport they love.

“I think that means that our program is developing in a positive way,” sophomore defensive specialist Rachel Stier said. “Marquette provides players the opportunity to do that with the high level that we play.”

Beyer will be back on the Marquette campus soon to finish her degree in communication studies. The Bloomington, Ill. native hopes to have a long-lasting career playing professional volleyball.

“As long as my body will allow me to play volleyball I think that I will play,” Beyer said. “I have a teammate now that is 31 years old, so if I play that long I still have 10 years under my belt. But as long as I have the opportunity to play I think I will continue playing for a while.”

Shymansky expects Beyer to have plenty of chances to continue her career playing internationally. Where Beyer will play is undecided, but one thing is certain. The former All-American will have a chance to add to her golden legacy at Marquette.