GRESKA: Athletic department should open a practice to fans

You hear the superlatives every telecast.

“This Marquette team has more intensity than any team in the country.”

“Marquette plays harder than you. And I don’t care who you are.”

“The Golden Eagles practice harder than most teams play.”

ESPN analyst Len Elmore dubbed Marquette the junkyard dogs a few seasons ago for their scrappy, never-day-die style of play, and now the whole country has bought in to this frame of mind that the reason the Golden Eagles play like warriors is because of the rugged training they undergo every day.

I don’t buy it.

As any good journalism professor would tell their students, you have to show, not tell. I can’t just say Jae Crowder should be a lock for an All-Big East First Team selection.

If I want to be taken seriously I have to show you that he has the second best offensive rating in the conference according to Ken Pomeroy’s stats, behind only Kevin Jones, scoring 16.2 points per game and grabbing a shade under eight boards.

So when I hear national analysts rave about Marquette’s work ethic and practice ethos I can’t help but be a bit skeptical. It’s my nature to want to see proof.

As a wise woman once told me, believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

With this as my basis, I petitioned the Marquette athletic department to be allowed to see a practice at the beginning of the year. I wanted to see for myself what exactly made their practices so special.

I was told the chances were slim but they would see as the year went on.

October, November, December and half of January passed by the time I decided to once again put in a request to see a practice, this time with a qualifier that I need not see the full thing, just an hour or so.

Nope.

I understand the Marquette Tribune name doesn’t carry the same weight as the ESPN or Journal Sentinel brands do — whose reporters are routinely green-lighted with access — but at some point, it’s not enough to simply mollify the big boys.

Take a look at what one of the premier basketball schools in the country did just last week. Kentucky is no stranger to success, leading the nation with 51 NCAA Tournament appearances — Marquette is tied for 11th with 29 — and is fresh off a trip to the Final Four last year, yet it still caters to the peons.

The Wildcats opened up the doors to their Memorial-Coliseum practice facilities on Wednesday and allowed all students, faculty and staff to watch practice. About 2,000 people showed up for the one-of-a-kind event, including ESPN camera crews that transmitted the practice live via ESPNU.

Now I get that the fervor over Kentucky basketball in the bluegrass state is akin to year-round Linsanity so I’m not using this as an example of how committed fans are, but rather how beneficial openness is.

What is the Marquette athletic department scared of? If we got to see a practice would it be like Dorothy pulling back the curtain on the Wizard?

I think not. Fans love Marquette and are dying to get more information about what makes this spunky bunch tick.

Last season a camera crew followed Marquette from bootcamp up to the game against the Badgers, providing never-before-seen coverage of what goes into becoming a successful team, all the while turning mundane activities into marketing gold.

One of the first episodes shows Buzz calling a team meeting and giving a life lesson about how their true character is revealed through adversity. It is inspiring and portrays exactly why he is such a special coach.

Here’s another chance for priceless marketing. I’m not even saying open up the Al to everyone for a practice — although I do think it’s a great way to manufacture interest. We’ll prove its worthwhile. Just let a few non big-wigs get in on the action.