Gospel Choir hits the high notes

Worship can be a quiet time for prayer and reflection. For the Marquette University Gospel Choir, worship is a celebration.

Marquette Gospel Choir perform at their fall concert in the Varsity Theatre Nov. 5. Photo by Aaron Ledesma/[email protected].

Singing in church — especially when you have doubts about your vocal talents — can be awkward. However, gospel choir’s contagious rhythm creates a sense of unity, leaving no room to feel self-conscious.

In some church services, it can feel like choir members are isolated with the rest of the congregation left to politely admire the harmonic blend from afar. Gospel choir strongly encourages the audience to get involved — and to get excited about it.

While MUGC only has one or two concerts each semester, the events are certainly impressionable. The most recent concert on Nov. 5 — titled “Oh, Give Thanks!” — featured jubilant songs of thankfulness and praise. Song after song had inspiring messages of revival.

Nathaniel Eubanks, the Gospel Choir Director, loves this aspect of gospel music.

“There’s a message of hope. We’re singing about something we share,” Eubanks said.

Many of the songs have a theme of overcoming obstacles. The songs talk of struggle but also of the joyful feelings of faith, with a new sense of renewal and understanding.

The gospel choir became part of Marquette history at Rev. Scott Pilarz’s presidential inauguration back in September, where the choir sang the playful, yet soulful song “New Directions.” Performing at the presidential inauguration was a highlight of gospel choir for Haley Jackson, a junior in the College of Communication.

“It was great being able to welcome Father Pilarz into Marquette, gospel choir-style,” Jackson said. “It was great to see him jump up and down and start applauding.”

The power of gospel music is not necessarily conveyed through the sound, but rather the feeling, Jackson said.

“I love the songs that have a feeling behind them,” Jackson said. “It’s not just a slower tempo or an up tempo. If it’s something the choir believes in, it’s something that is good in song.”

Understanding the message behind the song and having a powerful delivery is crucial. Gospel Choir is a very diverse organization that speaks to a wide variety of people and invites audience participation.

Gospel Choir is not just attractive to students. Faculty, Milwaukee community members and even Marquette dining hall staff were spotted at the concert on Nov. 5.

“We’re very diverse when we stand together. We all come from different walks of life and have different passions,” Jackson said. “Instead of having the diversity of the group drive us apart, it unites us.”

MUGC is diverse not only in membership, but also in learning styles. Unlike many choirs, the members are not required to know how to read sheet music. Eubanks puts the lyrics up on a chalkboard, and the choir learns by call and response.

This method is unusual but helps those who are not naturally musically inclined.

“(This way) gives students the ability to lean on each other,” Eubanks said. “They pick it up like their ABCs.”

This method also opens up room for creativity. Eubanks will improvise the songs by pointing to a small section of the choir for a response. The improvised performances keep the choir members on their toes by keeping the songs different each time.

Relying on each other is part of the MUGC culture. The sense of community is strong. Emily Hoffmann, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, has been a part of the gospel choir for three and a half years.

“(The Monday night practices) are a high point of my week. It’s the atmosphere and the people I’m with,” Hoffmann said.

The MUGC has come a long way since Eubanks took the director position. Ten years ago, Eubanks was directing three gospel choirs at once. He jumped into the position after hearing about it from a friend. The choir originally had only 10 members and now has more than 40.

“We’ve grown through the past few years. Gospel choir has a voice now,” Eubanks said.

Marquette alumi returned to sing with current MU Gospel Choir members for thier fall concert Nov. 5. Photo by Aaron Ledesma/[email protected].

The choir has expanded through the Agape Choir. Agape is part of the gospel choir but is a smaller subgroup that requires an audition. The group takes on more challenging songs and travels off campus to perform.

Eubanks wants to further plans to get the choir off campus, this time by traveling outside of Wisconsin. But in the meantime, MUGC is busy preparing for a Christmas concert on Dec. 4 in the Varsity Theatre at 2 p.m.

“Gospel music is like nothing you have experienced in your life,” Jackson said. “It’s something you don’t want to miss out on.”