Former MU basketball coach passes

Former Marquette men’s basketball coach and athletic director Hank Raymonds, 86, passed away Monday morning after battling cancer.

He served as an assistant coach from 1961 through 1977 under Eddie Hickey and Al McGuire. Raymonds succeeded McGuire as head coach the year after Marquette won the 1977 NCAA National Championship. He led the team until the 1983 season and compiled a career record of 126-50.

Raymonds’ teams secured NCAA tournament berths in five of his six years as head coach. Five of his players received All-American honors, and 16 were selected in the NBA Draft.

He was also athletic director from 1977-’87 and helped bring women’s athletics to Division I status in 1985.

Raymonds was often seen as a high-caliber tactician with a sharp basketball IQ behind McGuire’s charisma and emotionality.

“Hank truly holds a special place in Marquette history,” University President the Rev. Robert A. Wild said in a statement. “He was an accomplished coach and athletic director, but more than that he was a great man. We’ll celebrate his legacy and forever hold his memory in our hearts at Marquette.”

Raymonds is survived by his wife, Jinny, five children and 14 grandchildren.

Visitation will be held Sunday from 4 to 8 p.m. at Becker Ritter Funeral Home, 14075 W. North Avenue, in Brookfield. The funeral Mass will take place Monday at 11:30 a.m. in Gesu Parish.