Men’s tennis stays undefeated at home

Following two road losses to Purdue and Louisville, the Marquette men's tennis team came back to Milwaukee looking for answers on its home court.

Answers are exactly what the Golden Eagles found against Southern Illinois and Eastern Illinois this past weekend.

Marquette swept both the Salukis and the Panthers, going a combined 14-0 to remain undefeated at home. It holds a 4-2 record on the season.

"We lost two tough road matches on the road last weekend," said head coach Steve Rodecap. "But we decided to put those matches behind us and focus on this weekend. We came back to the Helfaer hungry, feeling like we had something to prove."

Saturday's matchup against Southern Illinois featured singles wins by sophomores Niko Boulieris, Dusan Medan, Mark Rutherford, juniors Trent Hagan, Stephen Shao and senior Brett Binkley.

The Golden Eagles also won the three doubles matches on Saturday. The tandems of Binkley and Rutherford, Shao and Pete Van Lieshout and Hagan and Medan picked up victories.

On Sunday, the same singles took to the court and all claimed victory.

Marquette won doubles play with the duos of Shao and Van Lieshout, Rutherford and Boulieris and Graydon Klassen and Binkley.

"We played much better in doubles play this weekend," Rodecap said. "This was an area we stressed on during practice, and I was very pleased with the results."

Rutherford claimed victories in all of his singles matches over the weekend and was the only Golden Eagle to pick up a singles win Jan. 27 against Louisville.

"Mark has been playing very well lately," Rodecap said. "He won very convincingly this weekend, and he didn't have any low points."

Rodecap also mentioned that despite his team's early struggles on the road, it doesn't need to be at home to play well.

"We certainly feel a little more comfortable playing at home," Rodecap said. "But we're not intimidated to play on the road. We feel comfortable anywhere."