Gamers negatively affected by too much play

• Brigham Young University published a research study Jan. 23 finding a correlation between video game use and poor relationships and risky behavior
  • The method consisted of questionnaires from 813 undergraduate students from six colleges across the country
  • The study showed mostly negative outcomes from video game use
  • The report serves as an initial, broad study calling for future research

A research study published Jan. 23 might help dispel the pimple-faced, computer geek video gamer stereotype as it found a correlation between video game use and poor relationships, drug and alcohol abuse and low self-worth.

The procedure included a questionnaire from 813 students from six colleges across the country and was headed by Laura Walker, professor in the School of Family Life at Brigham Young University in Utah.

The study, published in the Journal of Youth and Adolescence, found that as video game play increased, self-esteem and quality of relationships with friends and parents decreased. Drug and alcohol use, however, increased.

Seven percent of females questioned reported heavy use, and Walker said women had a stronger correlation to the negative effects than men.

The study showed mostly negative outcomes from video game use, which brought criticism from video game Web sites, blogs and forums. But Walker said the criticism is due to inaccurate perceptions by the media.

"There was no bias," Walker said. "We actually hoped to find positive links, but unfortunately that just didn't happen in this particular study."

But Walker said the results do not mean that video games do not have positive effects, and that other researchers have discovered positive outcomes.

Walker's study did not point directly to video games as the cause of such negative behavior, but rather pointed out the correlation.

She said her research is an initial, broad study to hopefully serve as a basis for further research that could look into other variables.

"It's getting to a point where video games are becoming more mainstream," said Brandon Alberti, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences.

After working at a video game store for the last five years and seeing all types of gamers, Alberti said the correlation does not surprise him. But he said it probably depends more on the person than the video games themselves.

"A lot of hardcore gamers play video games to try to throw themselves into another life that they don't have," he said.

He said some gamers might already have poor relationships and risky behavior before playing video games, a possible variable that Walker did not deny in her study.

Alberti said it's common for college students in general tend to engage in risky behavior.

He said he plays video games by himself for recreation. But he also said he and a group of friends get together to play Halo, turning it into a drinking game before going out on the weekends.

Paul Fletcher, psychiatry professor at the University of Cambridge in England, said the correlation is very interesting. Fletcher completed a research study last year about how computer environments influence our real world choices.

"I think that many scientists are deeply interested in the positive benefits of computer use," Fletcher said in an e-mail. "Computer games are potentially great sources of enjoyment and education."

He said there is a lot of research into the use of virtual environments for training and therapeutic purposes.