New Music Monday – 11/5/12

Hey everyone! Marquette Radio Music Director Gus Knorr here hosting another episode of New Music Monday! Listen in tonight as I play some of the best new music received by the Marquette Radio music department over the last few weeks for the DJs to play over the air. You can hear some bands that I think harken back to a classic rock sounds, a few bands that have had or will have concerts in Milwaukee within the last or next few weeks, and several new additions to the top ten albums played on Marquette Radio last week. That and more will be tonight at 7:00 PM, on New Music Monday, only on Marquette Radio!

• The first song tonight is by Crushed Out, a band whose main influence is some of the pioneers of rock and roll from the 1950s. This song, from their new album Want to Give, is “Weigh You Down.”
  • Next up is a song from a band that just released their debut album, and has a sound shaped by folk rock groups of the 1960s and ’70s. It’s the American Beauties, with “Snow Blind,” from their album Too Worn to Mend.
  • A song by a 21 year old guitar prodigy is next, namely Tyler Bryant, who was featured in a 2009 documentary with Carlos Santana, Slash, and Jeff Beck, called Rock Prophecies. His debut album, Wild Child, will be released next year, though a sampler of tracks from that album was recently released. From that sampler, here’s “Last One Leaving.”
  • Next is a song released from Andrew Bird’s new EP, Hands of Glory. This EP features alternate versions of tracks from his album, Break it Yourself, which was released earlier this year, and several covers of older country songs. The next song on New Music Monday is one of these covers. This song is a cover on an older song written by Townes Van Zandt, “If I Needed You.”
  • Switching things up a little bit, the next few songs are by bands that have had concerts in Milwaukee over the next few weeks, or will in the coming days. The first one of these is by the Mountain Goats, who performed at the Pabst Theater two weeks ago, on October 23rd. This song, from their new album, Transcendental Youth, is called “Amy (AKA Spent Gladiator 1).”
  • A song from a band that was in Milwaukee the exact same day (October 23) is next, though they performed at Turner Hall. I’m talking about the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, who recently released their new album Meat and Bone, which contained the track, “Ice Cream Killer.” (What are the odds? That’s also the next song on New Music Monday!)
  • The next band will be performing at The Rave on Thursday night, namely indie dance duo Matt and Kim. This song, off their new album Lightning, is “Now.”
  • Next up is a song by the legendary Bob Dylan, who will be at the BMO Harris Bradley Center the same night. The next song on New Music Monday by Dylan is from his new album Tempest, which was released two months ago. It’s the debut single from the album, which is “Duquesne Whistle.”
  • The final three songs on New Music Monday tonight will be three new additions to the Top 10 list of most played albums for Marquette Radio in the past week. The first of these was the #7 most played album last week, electronic band Black Light Dinner Party. This song, “Older Together,” is the first track off their new EP, BLDP.
  • The next song is off an album that was #5 on Marquette Radio’s list of Top 10 albums last week, Andrew Sullivan’s Where We Belong. That particular song is “Like Me and You.”
  • The final song on New Music Monday tonight is from the #2 of Marquette Radio’s Top 10 albums for the preceding week, and is by Australian pop singer Amber Nichols. From her debut EP, Oh My Lullaby, it’s “Thief.”

That’s it for New Music Monday tonight, but stay tuned for New Music Monday next week, Monday, November 12th, at 7:00 PM, as usual, when it will be hosted by one of my two assistants, either Vince McCann or Claire Kelly. Thanks for listening!