Men’s tennis team defeats Xavier and Georgetown at home

The Marquette men's tennis team improved to a perfect 6-0 at home after defeating Xavier and Georgetown this past weekend, beating each team 6-1.

When playing on its home court, Marquette has dropped only two points out of a possible 42 in the first six dual matches.

Many would question whether the Golden Eagles could continue to play at such a high level, but there is little doubt in head coach Steve Rodecap's mind.

"I think we can continue to play at a level this high," Rodecap said. "Our doubles play has really improved, and I think we can keep winning if we continue working this hard."

Mark Rutherford continues to play well for the Golden Eagles. He lost his first dual match of the season this weekend against Georgetown. Rodecap cited Rutherford and Niko Boulieris as two players whose play has caught his attention of late.

"Mark has been very dependable for us this year," Rodecap said. "He's only lost one matchthis season, and his low days aren't very low. Niko is really starting to gain his confidence too."

Despite playing so well at home, Rodecap said his team still has plenty of areas to improve on and that his team is committed to working hard whether in game or not.

"Each guy still has things to work on," Rodecap said. "We're going to use video to help us improve, and we're committed to working hard whether in practice or during a match."

The upcoming weekend will likely feature Marquette's biggest test on its home court. The Golden Eagles will take on Dartmouth on Friday and Arizona State on Saturday.

Rodecap said his team needs to play its best to continue its dominance at home.

"We treat every match exactly the same," Rodecap said. "But the weekend matches against Dartmouth and the ranked Arizona State are going to be tough. We need to play at our very best if we're going to win."