First place on the line

For all the parity in men's college basketball, the top of the Big East in late February looks just as everyone predicted in early November.

At the beginning of the season, one easily could have circled Feb. 24 as the crucial date on the conference schedule. CBS sure did, for the network is broadcasting Saturday's game between No. 10 Pittsburgh and No. 12 Georgetown in Washington, D.C.

The winner will have the inside track on the Big East regular season title and a No. 2 seed in the NCAA tournament.

When the teams first met Jan. 13 in Pittsburgh, the Panthers won 74-69 and controlled the game. Since then, though, the Hoyas haven't lost and currently are playing the best basketball in the conference.

Pittsburgh, on the other hand, has stumbled after its promising start and nearly lost at Seton Hall Monday because of the absence of injured center Aaron Gray (ankle sprain).

Even if Gray is healthy Saturday, his supporting cast of Levance Fields, Mike Cook and Antonio Graves need big games to thwart a Georgetown squad led by Jeff Green and Roy Hibbert, who have been in peak form during the winning streak.

Bubble radar

The Big East is down from last year, which means it likely won't get as many NCAA tournament bids as it did in 2006 (eight).

But with the rest of college basketball wallowing in mediocrity this season, there's still a chance for Average Joe teams like Providence and Villanova to sneak in.

Here are two key games that will determine which Big East teams will be left standing come Selection Sunday:

Syracuse at Providence, Saturday. The Friars need it more than the Orange, but Jim Boeheim's club must face Georgetown and Villanova to close the season, so Syracuse can spare itself anxiety by taking care of Providence

Syracuse at Villanova, March 3. Although the Wildcats have a great RPI (19), they need to win their last three games to finish above .500 in the Big East, a good-but-not-great conference this year. This game on the last day of the regular season will be vital for both teams.

Who's Hot: Louisville. Wins at Pittsburgh and Marquette have validated the Cardinals' NCAA tournament credentials.

Who's Not: Villanova. The Wildcats blew a chance at a marquee win against Georgetown and looked sub-par in a loss at Marquette.

Player of the Week: Jeff Green, Georgetown. Green scored the game-winning basket at Villanova last weekend to cap a 19-point, nine-rebound performance for the surging Hoyas.