The Rep’s newest play brings on comedic laughs

Hardly a moment passes without humor during the Milwaukee Repertory Theater's production of "You Can't Take It With You."

The hilarious script from writers Moss Hart and George S. Kaufman, combined with the excellent comedic timing of the cast, create an enjoyable comedy about the ups and downs of life in an eccentric family.

Sycamore family members include Essie (Melinda Pfundstein), the aspiring ballerina; Ed (Ronn K. Smith), her husband the printer-in-residence; Penelope (Laurie Birmingham), the struggling playwright mother; Paul (Jonathan Gillard Daly); the fireworks-producing father; Alice (Rachel Botchan), the "normal" daughter; and Martin Vanderhof (Jim Baker), the patriarchal grandfather.

Baker's vocal styling and mannerisms create a quintessential grandfather, leading the family through its problems in the show. His easy nature not only provides a calming influence for the chaotic characters, but also provides a person the audience can picture sitting in a real living room talking about commencements and petting his snakes.

Portraying the only "normal" person in a house full of eccentrics, Botchan produces an emotional performance, going through the highs and lows of loving Tony Kirby (James Knight) but being afraid to introduce him and his family to her family.

And her misgivings about introducing the two families prove correct when police interrupt the gathering and general chaos ensues in what is a short, but captivating scene.

Several visitors also call on the Sycamore family during the play. Adding to the commotion are Boris Kohlenkhov (Jonathan Smoots), the Russian ballet instructor; and Gay Wellington (Carole Healey), the drunken actress.

Smoots drops in at the most inopportune times for Botchan's character, and practically steals the spotlight from everyone else with his authentic Russian accent, booming voice and sweeping gestures. They always manage to steal it right back with even more over-the-top eccentric actions than before.

Healey, slurring her words and staggering about the stage, portrays a friend of Birmingham's. Facedown on the couch with her rear end sticking up like a baby, Healey is the first person the Kirby family sees when it arrives for dinner — not a good first impression.

The overall atmosphere created by scenic designer Bill Clarke adds to the audience's positive impression of the show. The wall is covered with 1950s-style wallpaper and trinkets line the upper molding. Ed's printing office is decorated with the plastic masks he creates. The living room contains the usual table, chairs and couch, but also a xylophone, typewriter and snake cage.

The modern, amphitheater-style set up of the theater, however, creates a slight visual distraction from the action occurring on stage. It's unfortunate, but can be overlooked because of the overall high caliber of the production.

From beginning to end, Hart and Kaufman weave a web of plot twists and sly, side comments that come full circle by the third act and leave the audience with a key message — enjoy life while you can, because no matter what, "you can't take it with you."

Grade: A

The Milwaukee Repertory Theater 108 E. Wells St., runs through Jan. 9. More information is available by calling the ticket office at 224-9490 or at www.milwaukeerep.com.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Dec. 9 2004.