Men’s basketball adds Rowsey and Hauser

Photo by Mike Cianciolo / michael.cianciolo@marquette.edu.
Photo by Mike Cianciolo / [email protected].

Marquette basketball head coach Steve Wojciechowski added two players to the program for next season. The team announced the transfer of former UNC-Asheville guard Andrew Rowsey and the commitment of 2016 recruit Sam Hauser.

Rowsey had a stellar freshman year, topping the Big South conference with 20 points per game. He was chosen as the Big South Freshman of the Year. He maintained his production this season, averaging 19 points. The 5-foot-10 guard made 208 three-pointers in his two years as a Bulldog, shooting around 40 percent both seasons. Due to NCAA regulations he’ll sit out this season and will have two years of eligibility remaining. Cincinnati and Notre Dame were also interested in his services.

Hauser is the latest case of Wojciechowski collecting in-state talent. The Stevens Point, Wisconsin native averaged 18 points, seven assists and three steals while hitting 52 percent of his three point attempts this season. He was unanimously chosen as a Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association first team all-state selection.

Wissports.com lists him as the top 2016 Wisconsin recruit. 24/7 Sports ranks him as a three-star prospect and  95th in his class. He is currently not ranked by ESPN due to their site only listing the top 60 prospects of his class.

He visited Tony Bennett and Virginia last week. Also in the mix was Creighton, Iowa State and Northern Iowa.

The Golden Eagles now have only one scholarship remaining for the 2016-17 season. If Wojciechowski picks up another transfer, Hauser could be the only member of the 2016 class.