MUSG looks to add a coordinator for community engagement

Photo by Valeria Cardenas / [email protected]

Marquette Student Government President Zack Wallace, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, opened his first meeting as president with the introduction of an amendment that would create a Coordinator for Community Engagement.

The goal of the coordinator is to head a committee that would foster sustainable partnerships with community organizations.

Wallace previously formed an ad hoc committee for community engagement while he was the legislative vice president, but this legislation would create a permanent committee on the subject.

Legislative Vice President Aliya Manjee, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, said the coordinator would be appointed through an application process. The committee would be made up of three senators: one academic, one off-campus and one residential as well as a member of the Program Board, a Residence Hall Association representative and other representatives appointed by the coordinator.

“If this does pass, we are hoping to do (coordinator) interviews by the end of this academic year,” Manjee said.

Wallace said Kelly Walker, coordinator for student community service programs, has agreed to be the supervisor for the committee. Wallace said Walker has expressed ideas for groups to include in the committee.

Other initiatives and programs will be created as a part of the committee. Wallace said he had been approached by community organizations after the last Neighborhood Cleanup to partner with the university.

Adam Kouhel, a freshman in the College of Business Administration, said the legislation would help break the “Marquette bubble.”

“It is very important to continue programs that build our relationship in the community like our partnerships with United Way and the Neighborhood Cleanups,” Kouhel said.

Another amendment was introduced that moved the power to appoint All-University Committee members from the Executive Vice President to the President. The senate also voted on and passed a $435,800 budget for the 2016 year.

The legislation calling for Marquette to divest from socially irresponsible companies passed through the Business Administration committee and will be introduced to the senate floor during the next meeting.