A Journey Through the School Year: 2014-’15

The 2014-’15 school year has certainly been one to remember, for better or for worse—but mostly better. Here is a look at the most monumental moments from the last two semesters.

Missing American SyriaJames Foley Death and Memorial: The murder of photojournalist and Marquette alumnus James Foley shocked the world last August after he was captured by ISIS almost two years earlier. The campus community came together to show support for the fallen alumnus with a touching, emotional memorial service. The university also set up a scholarship in Foley’s name for communication students with a commitment to social justice.

First Day of School: The school year officially started Aug. 25. It was a cloudy day with a high of 80 degrees as 8,410 undergraduate students ventured off to their first classes of the semester. They came from nearly every state and 70 countries. Most of the students stayed through the year; sadly, those temperatures did not.

President Lovell’s Inauguration: Sept. 19 marked a historical day for the university—the inauguration of its first lay president, Michael Lovell. Until a bylaw change in 2011, only Jesuit priests could hold that position. During the ceremony, Lovell announced new partnerships with local businesses, a Center for Advancement of the Humanities and a $5 million strategic innovation fund, among other projects. Students quickly warmed up to Marquette’s 24th president, formerly Chancellor at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He prays with them at campus liturgies, joins them on runs around the city and even poses for selfies.

Ozzi_SerafinOzzi Machines: The Dining Advisory Board introduced Ozzi machines, which provide reusable containers for take-out food. They are located in Marquette Place, Mashuda Hall and Schroeder Hall. The containers are meant to promote a greener campus, but have received mixed reviews from students. Some applaud the improvement in waste management, while others believe they are an inconvenience.

DPS Commissioning: After several months of deliberation between the Department of Public Safety and the administration, Lovell finally announced Marquette will move forward with DPS commissioning. This means that instead of being classified as a private protective agency like it is currently, DPS would have police powers, which include enforcing Wisconsin state statutes.

Marquette Madness: The annual event marks the beginning of formal NCAA basketball practices, but this year’s pep rally saw the debuts of new basketball coaches Steve Wojciechowski and Carolyn Kieger for the men’s and women’s teams, respectively. Fanatics packed the Al McGuire Center to watch their favorite players participate in scrimmages, three-point contest and a dunk contest. Both the men’s and women’s teams were introduced in all-star fashion with colorful lights and dance music.

Humphrey/McCabe: Humphrey apartments will become a residence hall by fall 2015 while McCabe will be converted into university-owned apartments. The decision was made after lounges in some dormitories were turned into rooms to house an overflow of underclassmen. The switch forced juniors living in Humphrey to scramble for a new place to live for senior year.

McAdams: John McAdams, associate professor of political science, said on his blog in mid-February that Marquette started the process to revoke his tenure and dismiss him from the faculty. McAdams was relieved of his teaching duties over winter break after he publicly criticized a teaching assistant for not allowing discussion about gay marriage in class.

Westboro: In response to the McAdams controversy, members of the Westboro Baptist Church came to campus Dec. 8 to protest. The group stood on the corner of 13th St. and Wisconsin Ave. holding signs that read, “Priests rape boys” and “USA is doomed,” among other remarks. Student counter-protesters gathered in front of Cudahy Hall with signs parodying the originals with messages like, “Hate is not a family value,” “God hates Mondays, loves lasagna” and “I, too, have a sign.”

Men’s Basketball Game at Al McGuire Center: The men’s basketball team held its first regular season game ever in the Al McGuire Center Dec. 19. The Golden Eagles played the Alabama A&M Bulldogs and ended with a blowout 83-49 win. Redshirt sophomore Luke Fischer was especially strong, scoring 22 points in 22 minutes.

GyrosR.I.P Marquette Gyros: A frequented culinary establishment for the Marquette community, Marquette Gyros was demolished at the end of the fall semester. The restaurant officially closed June 30 after being open for 25 years. It was a go-to location to satisfy the late-night munchies with burgers, cheese curds and of course, gyros. Its lot is currently vacant, but no matter what establishment takes its place, Marquette students will always yearn for gyros.

New Lacrosse Facility: At his first Presidential Address in January, Lovell announced that Marquette would collaborate with the Milwaukee Bucks to construct a multi-purpose facility that will house indoor playing fields for the lacrosse and soccer programs, an indoor track and an athletic performance research facility.

Mashuda Floods: Living in a flooded building is hard enough, but Mashuda Hall residents had to deal with two floods this semester alone, one over winter break and one in March. The first came from a pipe bursting on account of subzero temperatures. Some student property was damaged, but at least it was a legitimate excuse to get out of finishing homework.

Fr. Hendrickson Becomes President of Creighton: 2014 appears to be a popular year for rethinking Jesuit university hierarchy. Just before winter break, word got out that the Rev. Daniel Hendrickson, Marquette’s associate provost of academic initiatives, will become Creighton University’s 25th president starting July 1. Hendrickson co-celebrates the popular Tuesday 10 p.m. Mass at St. Joan of Arc Chapel. It is unclear who will replace him in either capacity, but he does have an identical twin brother, Ryan, who is also a Jesuit and could make for a likely candidate.

Provost_CardenasNew Provost Daniel Myers: Marquette announced in mid-February that Daniel Myers will be the next provost. Myers is currently the vice president and associate provost for faculty affairs at the University of Notre Dame. Marquette had an interim provost, Margaret Callahan, for almost two years.

Milwaukee Bucks Practice: The Milwaukee Bucks held an open practice at the Al McGuire Center Thursday, Feb. 20. The Bucks chose to have the practice on campus to show their support for Marquette. The event allowed students and Bucks fans to see point guard Brandon Knight play one last time before his departure to the Phoenix Suns, which was announced that same day.