Spring Break 2015 playlist

Photo via eli.com
Photo via eli.com

Come the end of this week, we will officially be on spring break. Whether that means flying to a warmer location, traversing state lines to visit with family members or simply using the time off to catch up on some much needed rest in the comfort of your own home, having the right music to soundtrack your time off will surely make the week more relaxing. Here is a playlist designed to help you fully enjoy your spring break.

Jumper—Third Eye Blind

It would be difficult to find someone who doesn’t know the words to this song. Plus, who could refrain from singing along? Arguably the most commonly covered song among amateur musicians, Third Eye Blind’s 1999 hit single is a perfect song to begin your spring break playlist.

Send Me On My Way—Rusted Root

Second on this list is a song that may bear an incredible amount of nostalgia, especially if you grew up in the ’90s. Written by Rusted Root, the song has been well- received since its release and has been featured in a number of films and TV shows that were popular during your childhood. Regardless of where you heard it first, the song is sure to elicit feelings of nostalgia as you sit back and wonder where the time has gone.

Road Trippin’—Red Hot Chili Peppers

Although an obscure track among the Chili Peppers’ illustrious repertoire, it is a perfectly fitting listen for those who will be traveling over break. As the name suggests, “Road Trippin’” simply describes an excursion among friends. Musically, the song consists of a continuous fingerpicking riff accompanied by a harmonious array of backing vocals which creates the auditory imagery of traveling.

All Along the Watchtower—Jimi Hendrix

Covered by one of the most stimulating guitarists of all time, Hendrix’s intense and energetic rendition of a Bob Dylan masterpiece is classic road trip material. The song is essentially four minutes of the most dynamic guitar soloing to ever be heard over a pounding rhythm section that never allows for a dull moment. Ultimately, this song is the epitome of a “jam” and is a must-listen tune if you’re in for a long drive.

Fast Car—Tracy Chapman

Dialing it down to a somber tone, Tracy Chapman’s 1988 hit single might not be the song you want to begin your vacation with. However, it may provide some much needed relief when you are hours into your trip and are tired of listening to high-intensity jams. It is lyrically pertinent to traveling and might be just what you need to get through the last portion of an exhausting drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO9Qa7MpAvw

Drive My Car—The Beatles

As the name suggests, “Drive My Car” is a fitting addition to this particular playlist and you ultimately can’t go wrong with The Beatles. Aside from its lyrical relevance, the song’s upbeat tempo and unforgettable chorus are sure to invoke a sing-along during your drive.

Going to California—Led Zeppelin

People typically think of Led Zeppelin as being an exclusively heavy rock group. In reality, the group’s ballads are just as brilliant and powerful as its fast paced material. “Going to California” is recognized as one of their most premiere ballads in company with “Stairway to Heaven,” and rightly so. Like “Road Trippin,” the song consists of continuous fingerpicking guitar work, but in a much more dynamic and frequent fashion. Coupled with lyrics about “taking (one’s) chances on a big jet plane” and “going to California with an aching in my heart,” the song is sure to invoke a sense of wanderlust during your time off.