March Journey: Luiz Gabriel Dias Durante Machado

10376476_382588988547320_1889681373_oEvery student feels anxious about leaving the safety net of his or her parents before college move-in day. Luiz Gabriel Dias Durante Machado (most just call him LG) experienced this uncertainty to the extreme. Machado is a freshman in the College of Health Sciences from Sao Paulo, Brazil.

“When you go somewhere as a tourist, you don’t expect to get along with the differences,” Machado said. “But when you move somewhere, you have no choice.”

Machado visited America five times with family before choosing to attend Marquette. More opportunities in the medical field led him to the school as well as the chance to emerge himself in the American culture.

“Brazilians never come to the Midwest because it’s too cold and not famous like New York or Las Vegas,” Machado said. “It felt like I never left when I came to America, and there were so many other Brazilians.”

The cold actually attracted Machado to Milwaukee since he was tired of the horrible 100-degree weather in Brazil. He ended up applying to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater as well, but he chose Marquette after receiving scholarship money. He attended a Jesuit high school in Brazil, and wanted to continue with the service-driven education since he felt very close to the Jesuits in Brazil. He admires how they are socially knowledgeable and active.

Machado sang for his church in Sao Paulo, so being involved in the Liturgical Choir at Marquette is another way he feels connected to home.

“I believe people should use their talents as a service, which is why I didn’t want to give up singing,” Machado said.

Machado noted numerous differences between Americans and Brazilians, including how they interact with one another. He said it is easier to know where you stand with Brazilians since they always make physical and emotional connections during interactions, even upon first meeting. They also enjoy conversing for longer periods of time.

“There is no ritual for when you leave in America,” Machado said. “In Brazil, you need to give people a million excuses. They take it personally.”

Machado said he admires how things are more structured and accessible in America. For example, he said a computer part can take up to four months to arrive in Brazil, but only two days here. He also enjoys not having to keep a close watch on people if they are fixing things in your home.

“When people complain about how they can’t trust people here, it is obvious that they have never been to Brazil,” Machado said.

Although Machado prefers the American society, he still misses his family and friends back home. His mom wanted him to wait until after college to study in America, but Machado said a college diploma from Brazil would mean nothing to American medical schools. After some convincing, his mom got on board with the plan. She even came to visit him last semester along with Machado’s girlfriend. Machado said they did not share his appreciation for the cold and had to wear multiple layers to bear the 40-degree weather. Machado described their visit as one of his favorite memories in Milwaukee so far.

Machado’s mother has influenced him through passing down her love of traveling and encouraged him to learn English at a young age.

“I started learning English when I started playing Pokémon,” Machado said. “My parents wanted me to speak proper English, unlike Brazilians who speak bad Portuguese.”

After graduating from Marquette, Machado anticipates staying in America or moving to Europe. “My goal is to make a change in the medical field,” Machado said. “As long as I am doing what I love and making a difference, it doesn’t matter where I live.”