Women’s soccer blown out at Georgetown

Trib File Photo
Trib File Photo

The Marquette women’s soccer team saw its unbeaten streak snapped at Georgetown when the team fell to the Hoyas 4-0 in Washington, D.C.

The Golden Eagles had early opportunities to get onto the scoreboard, when senior midfielder Mary Luba forced Georgetown keeper Emma Newins to make a diving save in the third minute. Later in the half, Newins had to make another quality save when sophomore forward Darian Powell ran onto a through ball. Newins came off the line to make a stop on Powell’s initial shot, and then Powell hit the post on the rebound. Marquette couldn’t get one past Newins in the first half, and keeper Amanda Engel stood strong for the Golden Eagles to keep the score at zero heading into halftime.

When the restart whistle sounded to start the second half, Georgetown took over the game. Two minutes into the half, Daphne Corboz crossed the ball to her younger sister Rachel, who put it into the top-right corner, just out of the reach of the diving Engel. The score put the Hoyas up 1-0, and gave Georgetown a lot of momentum.

Georgetown got on the board again in the 68th minute when Emily Morgan one-timed another cross from Daphne Corboz, sliding the ball under a falling Engel. Morgan’s goal solidified the Hoyas’ mark on the game, and permanently shifted the field in the Hoyas’ favor.

Goals in the 77th minute by Rachel Corboz for her second of the game and in the 79th minute by Taylor Pak put the final nails in the Marquette coffin.

The normally solid Golden Eagle back line did not play up to par, but was hindered by an injury to senior defender Haley Fritzlen. Fritzlen hit heads with a Georgetown defender and missed a significant amount of time in the game.

With its first conference loss, Marquette now sits in fourth place in the Big East. The Golden Eagles return home for a match against Seton Hall at Valley Fields Thursday night.