Doubles claim victory for men’s tennis at Purdue

Photo by Maggie Bean/Marquette Images
Photo by Maggie Bean/Marquette Images

The Marquette men’s tennis team took on the Purdue Fall Invitational Tournament this past weekend. The 19-team tournament lasted three days, featuring numerous matches for the Golden Eagles. The men were represented in singles play by freshmen Scott Christian and Andre Romanello, sophomores Kristiyan Trukov and Mackenzie Sterns, junior Gleb Skylr and senior Cameron Tehrani.

After dropping his first match to Brandon Woods of Butler 6-2, 6-2, Trukov went on to claim the consolation championship in Flight D, beating Alex Woldmoe of Butler 6-2, 6-4. Also in Trukov’s bracket was Romanello, who advanced to the semifinal round in regular play before falling to Chicago’s Sven Kranz 6-2, 6-4. Tehrani and Skylr made it to the semifinal round in the consolation brackets of Flight B and E, respectively.

Doubles play proved to be more successful for the Golden Eagles as the dynamic duo of Trukov and Romanello competed for the championship in Flight B. However, they were unable to bring home the win, losing to Chicago State’s doubles team of Mario Noboa and Sergiu Muresan. Doubles team Tehrani and Sterns ended their tournament in the consolation semifinal round of Flight A, losing to Iowa’s Jake Jacoby and Nils Hallestrand 8-0.

The men will travel to Muncie, Indiana for the Ball State Fall Invite on Friday, Sept. 26. The women will also resume play the weekend of the Sept. 26 as they participate in the USAFA Invitational in Colorado Springs, Colorado.