Tomato Romp takes food fights to next level

The 8th Annual Tomato Romp features a number of events, including the Rotten Tomato Fight. Photo via theeastside.org.

In an effort to celebrate the fruit of all vegetables, Milwaukee’s East Side Business Improvement District hosts the 8th annual Tomato Romp Saturday, Sept. 13, from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. on E. North Ave., between Prospect and Oakland Avenues.

The day’s festivities start out with a fresh farmer’s tomato and locals’ market, featuring produce from local Wisconsin growers and plenty of Milwaukee-native art, designs and entertainment.

The day continues with a food crawl with favorites from East Side chefs, displaying tomato goodies like bloody mary pizza, BLT ice cream and tomato strata.

The East Side bars compete in a bloody mary competition, battling for this year’s title of the East Side’s Bloody Mary champion.

The Rotten Tomato Fight, starting at 4 p.m., gives participants the chance to fling inedible goop and peels at friends, family and total strangers all while supporting Milwaukee’s fight against hunger. Tickets cost $10 and include goggles and a T-shirt; all proceeds go towards hunger-relief efforts. Debt-stricken college students know that no entertainment beats free entertainment, and watching the fruity brawl is free.

Aside from the tomatoes, guests can enjoy live music from bands like Kane Place Record Club and Extra Crispy Brass Band throughout the day. Also on show are the contestants of the Romp! Costume Competition, sporting their warrior wear to endure the tomato fight, which is not a sight anyone should miss.