Food trucks roll onto Marquette campus

Pieschel-Foodtruck11
Customers can try a variety of menu items from food trucks parked outside the courthouse. Photo by Madeline Pieschel / [email protected]

By Catherine Gabel

It’s no secret that Marquette students have limited food options on campus. Places like Qdoba, Dogg Haus and Jimmy John’s are mostly known for their late-night appeal, and the only way to get a salad is from Sodexo in the Union. Luckily, food trucks provide a temporary oasis to the food desert surrounding the university. 

Food trucks first appeared in Milwaukee nearly three years ago. Essentially, their purpose is to provide delicious food in a timely matter. These trucks now line busy streets during all hours of the day, serving cuisines from numerous countries and cultures.

City favorites include Yellow Bellies, a truck dedicated solely to rotisserie chicken, Meat on the Street, which specializes in Filipino food and Eats and Treats, which serves burgers, waffles and ice cream.

Chris Jourdan, the owner of Eats and Treats, was recently featured by the Travel Channel for the truck’s beer brats and spicy jalapeno-cheddar waffles.

“I think we are a great alternative to the general fast food industry,” Jourdan said, “as we are bringing fresh, locally-sourced whole foods to people on the go.”

Most food trucks get their supplies from farmers and bakeries in the Milwaukee area, keeping dishes fresh and local. They provide convenient locations to get a bite to eat with friends, meet some interesting people and snap the perfect Instagram photo.

Kelsey Hau, a senior in the College of Communication, often visits Milwaukee food trucks for their quick, alternative meal options.

“The first time I tried Yellow Bellies, I became obsessed with the idea of having quick food that is more unique than the typical Qdoba experience,” Hau said. “Not to mention, it’s a blast being able to try all different types of food.”

Once they lose their meal plans, upperclassmen especially struggle for convenient eating options. Luckily, several trucks, including Yellow Bellies, Pita Brothers and Buddha’s BBQ, are typically parked outside the Milwaukee County Courthouse between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. every day.