Summerfest Review: Ten Strings And A Goatskin

This year’s Summerfest was definitely one for the history books. While the big name headlining acts such as Outkast, Bruno Mars, Fall Out Boy, and Mötley Crüe were surely amazing, the fest brought in some smaller acts to the grounds that were just as good (and much less expensive). One of those gems was the Canadian folk trio, Ten Strings and A Goatskin, who played the U.S Cellular Stage on July 3rd. For those who are unfamiliar, the band is comprised of guitarist Jesse Periard, drummer Caleb Gallant, and singer/violinist Rowen Gallant. Their music is influenced by Irish, Francophone and Maritime cultures, and combines modern and world rhythms with traditional & original tunes, creating an energetic and unique sound that’ll grab your attention and make you want to clap along to the beat. The bilingual trio started their set with some toe-tapping instrumental tunes and followed with a soulful performance of “Parlez-nous à boire,” which just so happens to be all in French. And if the French wasn’t enough to win you over, then the boys’ simple charm, warm smiles, and love and passion for folk music would.

Ten Strings is extremely talented. All three members bring their own flare to the stage and Rowen’s expert violin playing and boisterous voice are what give Ten Strings their signature sound. Other songs on their setlist included “The Night They Moved the House” from their most recent record Corbeau and an incredibly fast paced folk rendition of Lorde’s hit “Team” (which I actually prefer over the original track). If you’re a fan of folk music or just feel like doing an Irish Jig, Ten Strings and A Goatskin are worth giving a listen to. Their music will leave you feeling energized, fired up, and wanting more.