5 sent to hospital after taking illegal drugs

McCormick Hall is undergoing internal demolition work this week. Marquette Wire stock photo.

Five students were admitted to the hospital late Sunday night after reportedly ingesting an unspecified illegal drug.

Interim Director for the Department of Public Safety Russell Shaw said an officer arrived on the scene at McCormick Hall Sunday. He said that due to medical concerns and concern for the students’ safety, they were taken to Sinai Samaritan Hospital in downtown Milwaukee for treatment and evaluation.

As part of the investigation, one female student was also taken into custody by the Milwaukee Police Department for allegedly distributing the drugs.

The students await university conduct and legal action, but according to Brian Dorrington, senior director of university communication, the university is focused foremost on the students’ health.

“We take the safety and well-being of our students very seriously and expect all of our students to uphold Marquette’s values,” Dorrington said in an email. “The university is grateful for the swift action our Department of Public Safety, Residence Hall staff and law enforcement partners who immediately responded to the students. The university has extensive drug and alcohol educational programs, including a dedicated coordinator who works to educate students about associated risks.”

Last week, there were five separate instances of drug violations in McCormick, O’Donnell, Schroeder and Straz  Halls.