Marquette wins at Pitt in overtime thriller

Derrick Wilson played 31 minutes in place of an injured Junior Cadougan. Courtesy of foxsportswisconsin.com

Despite a demoralizing, buzzer-beating three-pointer at the end of regulation from Lamar Patterson, Marquette hung on to defeat Pittsburgh 74-67 in overtime. With the road win, Marquette improved to 3-0 in the Big East and 12-3 on the season.

Vander Blue led the Golden Eagles with 22 points (9-for-10 from the free throw line), while Davante Gardner, Jamil Wilson and Todd Mayo also scored in double figures. Patterson paced Pittsburgh (13-4, 1-3 Big East) with 22 of his own, including six three-pointers.

Starting point guards Junior Cadougan and Tray Woodall fell victim to injuries and played extremely limited roles in the contest. Cadougan rolled his ankle after landing on a Pittsburgh player’s foot in the first half. He returned to the game at the end of the half, but sat out the entirety of the second half and overtime.

Woodall left the game after a head-to-chin collision in the opening minutes with Derrick Wilson. He did not return after being diagnosed with a concussion. The Panthers missed his leadership and presence severely, but still pushed Marquette to the bitter end.

Marquette never trailed in the final 28 minutes of the game, despite Patterson’s buzzer-beater at the end of regulation.  Pittsburgh failed to cut into the Marquette lead from the foul line, where they shot just 50% (13-for-26), including just 2-for-7 in overtime.

Following his early collision with Woodall, Derrick Wilson returned to play a career-high 31 minutes in Cadougan’s stead at the point. His solid play to lead Marquette to victory overcame his mundane stat line (one point, one assist).

After opening the game 5-for-6 from beyond the arc, Marquette failed to make a three-pointer for the remainder of the game (0-for-9).

Marquette next takes on Seton Hall at the BMO Harris Bradley Center on Wednesday at 8 p.m. CT.