The Gus Knorr Show – 11/15/12

Hey everyone! Even though it’s been a very busy week for me with Marquette Radio’s annual Rock-a-Thon taking place, I still have time to host The Gus Knorr Show tonight. Tonight’s theme will be a continuation of last week’s show, where I play songs from bands that I have never played before on The Gus Knorr Show, as well as some songs by legendary artists and bands that I have never played in my three years of hosting The Gus Knorr Show on Marquette Radio. That’ll all be tonight, Thursday at 8:00 PM, on The Gus Knorr Show, only on Marquette Radio!

• The first song tonight on The Gus Knorr Show tonight, by a band that I have never played on the show before, is by The Doobie Brothers; it’s “China Grove.”
    • Next is a song also from the 1970s, “Shining Star” by Earth, Wind and Fire. I hope when listening to this song, you decided to do some little kicks.
    • Need some general reassurance? Then be sure to listen to the next song on The Gus Knorr Show, probably the best known song and the only number one single by Bill Withers, “Lean on Me.”
    • Next up is yet another number one hit, though it’s from the J. Geils Band, “Centerfold,” probably the second best-known song to have the words “nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah” uttered repeatedly, only behind “Hey Jude.”
    • The next song is the first hit single by Neil Diamond as a singer, “Cherry, Cherry.”
    • Next is a song by the band Kansas, (not to be confused with the state/former 19th Century territory), “Dust in the Wind,” which was also once unsuccessfully performed by the Muppet Beaker.
    • The next song is probably best known for being the theme from the 1969 Oscar winning film Midnight Cowboy, and is one of the best known songs by Harry Nilsson; it’s “Everybody’s Talkin’.”
    • A song by an early 1960’s girl group, The Shangri-Las, from the Brill Building in New York, is next; it’s “Remember (Walking in the Sand.)”
    • Next is a song also the early 1960s by teen idol Dion, and is one of his best known songs, “The Wanderer.”
    • Switching things up a little bit, the next song is a disco hit from the late 1970s, “Le Freak,” by Chic.
    • This is the second week in a row where I’m playing a song produced by Phil Spector with the Wall of Sound treatment; this week, it’s “Da Doo Ron Ron,” by The Crystals.
    • The following songs played on The Gus Knorr Show tonight are all songs that have never been played on The Gus Knorr Show before, though by well-known, successful, and influential groups and artists that I have played before. The first one of these is “Ramblin’ Man,” by The Allman Brothers Band.
    • Next up is a song by one of legendary pioneers in 1950s rock and roll music, Jerry Lee Lewis, with “Great Balls of Fire.”
    • Another rock and roll legend performed the next song on The Gus Knorr Show, “Good Golly Miss Molly,” by Little Richard, of course.
    • Moving on to a song by one of the great British invasion bands from the 1960s, The Rolling Stones, the next one is “Get Off of My Cloud.”
    • The Wesley Willis Song of the Week is next, and fitting along with the theme of songs by legendary rock musicians, this song is called “Feel the Power of Rock and Roll.”
    • Moving back to a song from another iconic British band, The Beatles (who else?), the next song is from their first album, Please Please Me, “I Saw Her Standing There.”
    • Next is a song by yet another awesome British band, The Who, from one of my all-time favorite albums, Tommy; it’s “Go to the Mirror.”
    • The next song is by James Brown, the Godfather of Soul, and is one of his best known songs from 1965, “Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag.”
    • FREE BIRD! Shut up, annoying audience member! Actually, what a coincidence, because that’s the final song on The Gus Knorr Show tonight!

That’s it for The Gus Knorr Show tonight, but stay tuned in two weeks, after Thanksgiving break, for one of the final episodes of The Gus Knorr Show, on Thursday, November 29th, at 8:00 PM, on Marquette Radio, as usual. Thanks for listening!